What is a debit card???

ok i put £300 cash into my bank last week some time, on monday i went into pay for the rest of my hoilday off, which was £300 i used my maestro card to pay, so it would come out straight away.

thursday i went to the cash machine to see if i had my wages in and there was £250 left in so i thought "i've been paid" i took out £150

Go to my bank today to get the rest and i was overdrawn:confused: :confused:

When i called yorkshire bank and told them he said it was when iused it on monday it was not put through till later (even more confused) i thought a maestro card the money comes straight out of your account, no they are chargeing me cause i'm overdrawn??????

who's right?

They are.

They are allowed a few days grace to take the payment from your account.

They usually "suspend" the ammount, so that you cant take any money out that you've already used...

IE: £500 in my account, I use £400 for a holiday... 2 days later my balance is still £500 but the machine says my *available balance* is £100 and thus I cant charge anything to my card over £100

they have done this to me loadsa times... write to them threatening court action:thumbsup:

Transactions on your debit card can take a few days to show up on your account.

Don't Yorkshire bank let you have mini-statements from the cash machine any more or was it not a YB machine you drew the money out of?

they have done this to me loadsa times... write to them threatening court action:thumbsup:

You can't do that it's perfectly legal. Debit card transactions can take 2-3 days to fully clear from your account, but as stated previously, if the terms and conditions of your account do not allow you to go overdrawn you wouldn't be able to take more money than exists in your account in several transactions over those 2 days.

There is a clear difference between 'available balance' and your actual 'balance'.

it was not the YB machine i used just a link machine, it's never happened before, i used my card in a shop gone to the machine and was only allowwed to take out what was left even if the balance was more :confused:

It's doing my head in

i'm sure if you explain the situation and make a complaint they will as a goodwill gesture waive the charges.

If you speak to the bank they may be sympathetic if you haven't been overdrawn before and also it may be possible to have an arranged overdraft in case you accidentally go overdrawn again.

They did this with me a few years ago as it was due to a mistake.

i have never ever be overdrawn in my life, i have never even had on overdraft, when icalled them to tell them not in these words but i was told it my problam!

I went in person to the bank and they were ok, it makes a difference if you are there in person rather than a voice on the phone. It might be hard for you to get into the bank but the other option is pay the charges or call again and see if you get anyone more helpful on the phone.

ok i have called the bank again and asked them if it was possible to put an overdraft on and they said "no",not given me any reason just a "no"