The Ark - Soul Night - Late Sixties

Oh the good nights we used to have in the Ark on Friday and Saturday nights. We were still at school (Myers Grove) but we used to look forward to it all week. We all used to get on the bus from Stannington and dance the night away to all our favourite motown tunes, and then back home again on the 10.0 clock bus. I remember once they had an "all nighter" and we all told our parents we were sleeping at each others houses so we could go. We never got found out though, such fantastic happy days and brilliant music.

Yes we did. We also used to go to a disco at the Cutlers hall on a Saturday night. There used to be 2 "gogo dancers" on the stage and I always wanted to be one of them. I loved dancing to all the motown classics (still do actually but only in the kitchen). Did you live in Stannington? My best friend was Andrea Woodcock and we used to hang around with Tina and Vicky Metcalfe who were cousins with the Metcalfe twins who started the Arc originally.

It was a grand night out. A few of us "invaded" the stage and actually danced along with them :-) The next day we found out they were staying at the Grovener hotel and we went there and actually met them and got their autographs! What is "funny" now since I live in the USA they must have wondered what was going on as most of the crowd was white - and there was segregation going on in the States at the time!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived