Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

when we were cold in bed we had to make do with quilts with pockets , donkey jackets. we asked our mum my mates dont have pockets in theres ,we had to bath in potsink in kitchen and then run to front on fire to get dry thegood old days irealise what this means, we never had central heating or dbl glazing until getting married we lived out in the country we walked miles carnt get are kids to walk to shop , bus service one in morning one later in day but very full

Liquorice Root - it looked like a 4 inch piece of rope and you just chewed it. I could only ever get it from the drinks shop near Abbeydale Cinema. Thinking on it was awful.

There was a herbalist shop on London road (in the block of shops between Woodhead and Alderson roads) used to sell it too. He also sold that 'herbal' tobacco which looked like the flock filling from a mattress, - smelled really weird when you lit it :suspect:

Never tasted Fiveboys chocolate but do remember there were coin-operated dispensers on Midland and Victoria stations that were always empty - presumably because of the rationing.

can anyone remember what that horrible tasting malt stuff was called, my mum made me have a spoonful everyday, I think it came from the welfare clinic.

And plastic sandals oh the shame if you had to wear them.

Kids today are not brought up with the same values because they would be bullied by other kids if they were, although we were posh we had egg sandwiches not jam

can anyone remember what that horrible tasting malt stuff was called, my mum made me have a spoonful everyday, I think it came from the welfare clinic.

Bloomin' heck - I'd almost forgotten the stuff. It was malt extract, and apparently it was full of healthy carbohydrates and other nutrients, but it tasted awful. They gave it to my mum at the welfare clinic in Hillsborough Park (the library building). They also provided orange juice to make the malt extract (and the even worse, though vitamin-rich cod liver oil) more palatable.

We had egg sandwiches as well, so we must have been posh. On special occasions we even had HAM sandwiches. My mum (God bless her, she died last September at 87) had her priorities right. We were well fed and clothed, and on all the old photos we look well-scrubbed.

Also national health glasses, choices were pink or blue.

School dinners of which I hated cheese pie with the shrivelled up tomato on top, and custard or gravy with the thick skin on.

The nit nurse, who never left it there, she always looked in your vest and knickers.

Ham sandwiches your showing off now

I thought the cheese pie was OK, but I didn't like tomatoes, so I gave my pal my slice of tomato and he gave me his cheese pie. I reckon I got the better half of the bargain. He didn't like mushrooms or rice pudding, either, so no wonder I put weight on, what with the egg (and even ham) sandwiches, with thick sliced bread from the Don bakery.

I forgot about the rice pudding, at Abbeydale School we had prunes in it, my friend put hers in her hanky and up her knicker leg and forgot about it till it fell out in the playground, no one wanted to play with her till she convinced them it was prunes, the dinners were vile

Well, if you went to Abbeydale I reckon it was YOU who was posh! There was I at a back-street Junior (Malin Bridge). But I did go on to King Edward's, though I felt like a fish out of water. And the food was worse, though my dinner-lady friend Ada always gave me a bit more rice pudding...

fancy having a dinner lady as a friend, was you billy no mates then, Abbeydale was not posh at least not when I was there, it was a nice school though especially in the holidays when it was shut, and we had a rest from that horrid warm milk at playtime, I have never drunk milk since I hate the stuff

What happened was that I overheard one of the dinner ladies saying that it was Ada's birthday. I wished her Many Happy Returns and she was delighted. From then on I couldn't do anything wrong and she always fed me well. I wasn't daft. Abbeydale is still a good school, to judge from the smart, generally well-behaved kids I see when partaking of my usual pub lunch at the Millhouses (outside in summer). The food's good there, as well...

I went to Abbeydale juniors first, though my friends were the same age, Mrs Jagger the dinner lady used to round us up for first, and second sittings we all used to hide from her as we wanted to go second, cant remember why though, and I never wished her happy birthday, one portion of her cooking was bad enough, without extras

The girls might remember Tressy dolls mother of Cindy, grandma of Barbie, still unmarried I believe, and the boys had action men,