54 Lancing Road, Sheffield.

On 02/03/2023 at 08:26, Kidorry said:

Could the missing houses have been destroyed during the second world war?

I could not find no 54 in the 1921 Census but that could be a possibility.

On 03/03/2023 at 12:29, Meltman said:

There was bombing on Lancing Road and several houses were destroyed, on the way up from Charlotte Road on the left.  The space where the houses were was filled with garages available for rent if I remember correctly. When the area was being redeveloped an unexploded bomb was found and the area was evacuated   including stopping a match at Bramhall lane. The shell of the bomb is in Kelham Island museum. 

This is an interesting piece of history, thanks. Ella Kay was away during the 2nd World War as an evacuee (possibly working) but her parents stayed in Sheffield.

Hello,

I have managed to establish that it was a typo error and that Ella Kay most definitely lived at No 84 with her parents, Arthur & Ethel. I am not able to find why she was living in Bridlington at the time of her death.

Many thanks for all of you for your help and the interesting snippets of information. :)

• Like 1

Lancing road was still there in 1966, I had a college friend who lived there.

Edited by smary