Stair lifts and showers fitted that carers will use

Hi

I rang Age Concern who I thought would be able to assist however they seemed to not know anything of what I was asking.  

I need to organise a stairlift and a walk in shower for my elderly parents in Sheffield.  I have heard from some people if you get them fitted yourself and a carer is needed the carer won’t use any equipment you sorted out yourself.  

The council haven’t answered their phone as they were my next call. 

My mum has cancer and there is going to be a point that she needs a carer so I need to get it sorted. 

If you have dealt with this situation yourself I’d be very grateful to know what contractors you used etc. 

Thanks

Not quite the same situation, but my disabled m-i-law required a ramp building to her front door which has a step above 12". She qualifies for a 'Disabled Facility Grant' courtesy of SCC, but note that it is 'means tested'. The grant amount depends on savings held, and if memory serves me, the threshold is about £6k. (?)

In her case, the ramp (full) cost is approaching 5 thousand, and if all goes ahead, a firm called EasiAccess (?) will be called in to do the work.

I imagine that the council 'force' you to use their appointed firms if you qualify for any grant.

(Better point out that m-i-law is not a council tenant - she's a houseowner.)

Thank you.  They will be paying for it privately.   

A friend’s sick relative had both a stairlift and wet room fitted and when she needed care because the company was not council approved or something similar.   

Adult services at the Council have not answered their phone all day. 

How are  older people or people without internet access supposed to find anything out.  

Ta

Try looking up adult social services.  They are /were based at Love Street, Sheffield 

On 04/02/2019 at 22:57, jane2008 said:

Try looking up adult social services.  They are /were based at Love Street, Sheffield 

Thanks, that was the number we keep ringing.    Because she is so bad we have a stairlift person coming round as she cannot wait.   Thanks.