Asbestos survey by sheffield homes

as we are due to have our houses done by council,we have to have an asbestos survey done ,i was sent an appointment for last wednesday saying they would come between 9am and 4pm and it would take an hour.i took time off work and waited in .a van pulled up at 2-10pm and they went next door.at 3.05 the man knocked and said that they were only doing an exterior survey on mine that day. i went mad and told him i had taken tome off and stayed in all day .he looked at the back and front corner off the house which took 20 seconds and just drove off.by this time i was fuming .i rang the company who called and they said the man did not realise he was to do the interior off mine and he had ran out of time anyway.i asked how long it should take to do the exterior check and he replied that if they had done the house next door ours would be the same.does anyone know if this is right or not?

I've had a letter saying that they don't need access for the asbestos survey as it's all external (although how they're going to see right up to the back of my second floor maisonette without walking through it, I've no idea) but I had a surveyor round last week who did the internal checks, took half a day of work ("you didn't have to take time off work especially, did you?") and they came when they said they would, between 9am and 12.30pm.

They did my ex's, the survey said it was clear, not sure if they did inside too. But when it was rewired I asked why they had used surface trunking instead of hiding the cables in the cavities, they said it was "Because we don't want to disturb the asbestos".

I know someone who has to have an asbestos survey, despite the fact that they have already had an asbestos survey done, quite comprehensively, a few years ago, when they had all their asbestos removed when having their central heating system installed.

it's bizzarre. If the report was done that all the asbestos was removed in 199X why is it necessary to re survey? its a waste of money and time.

I had the same done to my former Council property, all the asbestos was removed in 1990, and replaced with an alternative, fireproof material. will they have to survey that property, again too?

PT

we were thinking about buying our council house, part of the prosess involved an asbestos check. They found some above the gas boiler. they sealed the area with plastic sheets and air pumps to remove dust. all for a foot square of the stuff. it took 6 hours

we were thinking about buying our council house, part of the prosess involved an asbestos check. They found some above the gas boiler. they sealed the area with plastic sheets and air pumps to remove dust. all for a foot square of the stuff. it took 6 hours

Asbestosis and related medical conditions are not very nice diseases so it sounds like they were quite thorough in your case. My concern re these surveys is they will lack the requisite transparency and many properties with asbestos could remain unreported to the tenants with all the problems which this entails.

I know someone who has to have an asbestos survey, despite the fact that they have already had an asbestos survey done, quite comprehensively, a few years ago, when they had all their asbestos removed when having their central heating system installed.PT

We had all the asbestos removed from our home ages ago when they did similar. The have inspected the neighbourhing properties AGAIN and found nothing and are insisting I take a day off work for them to do mine or leave a key with someone.

I've had a letter saying that they don't need access for the asbestos survey as it's all external (although how they're going to see right up to the back of my second floor maisonette without walking through it, I've no idea) but I had a surveyor round last week who did the internal checks, took half a day of work ("you didn't have to take time off work especially, did you?") and they came when they said they would, between 9am and 12.30pm.
yes i did have to take time off work as the letter said that they were doing an internal survey,and then as i said they only did an external one which took 20 seconds

yes i did have to take time off work as the letter said that they were doing an internal survey,and then as i said they only did an external one which took 20 seconds

My quote in brackets about taking time off was what the surveyor actually said to me when he came in.

As for the asbestos, as I had my last window replaced last summer there was an issue of asbestos in the blank end panel which slowed the work down so I presume it's already been checked but I'll wait and see.

sorry i thought you were asking me if i had to take time off,misunderstood.i think as soon as asbestos is even mentioned it worries you without the workmen not knowing what they are doing.