Footpath from Wadsley Bridge station to Claywheels Lane

I also have just written a polite letter asking if they NR could clear up the access question. I still have had no reply from the council concerning the path at the side of the chapel, the path starts just passed the war memorial at the top of Carrwell Lane then runs around the base of the mound that the steel stockholders are on and up the bank behind there to join the main footpath through the sidings, it is a bit difficult to see on the OS map as they have printed WADSLEY BRIDGE over it.

If anyone else is interested in opening this path they should write to :-

[email protected]

:help:

I also have just written a polite letter asking if they NR could clear up the access question. I still have had no reply from the council concerning the path at the side of the chapel, the path starts just passed the war memorial at the top of Carrwell Lane then runs around the base of the mound that the steel stockholders are on and up the bank behind there to join the main footpath through the sidings, it is a bit difficult to see on the OS map as they have printed WADSLEY BRIDGE over it.

If anyone else is interested in opening this path they should write to :-

[email protected]

:help:

As far as I can see, there is no public footpath marked on the OS map (using Bing Maps) from Carrwell Lane.

If you look on the OS map where it says WADSLEY BRIDGE in large letter over the Fletchers site, the path starts under the e in bridge and continues up through the top of the s in wadsley.

If you look on the OS map where it says WADSLEY BRIDGE in large letter over the Fletchers site, the path starts under the e in bridge and continues up through the top of the s in wadsley.

I know where you mean but on the online OS map there is no public footpath marked there (and not on my printed one either).

It is clearly marked with a black dotted line, there was a public footpath sign there up until recently, I have spoken to the council dept about it before and they acknowledged it's existence but told me at the time it would be hard work to clear it and they would prefer to open the entrance at the top of the station approach, but now they are not doing that it would seem this path is the only other option.

I can see the dashed line there; but I think it's indicating the power lines and pylons, not a path: http://binged.it/1QdY3Lh

Yes I see your point, it continues across Penistone Rd, I have earlier maps where it is very clearly marked, I can assure you it does exist. Is it possible to copy and paste a picture on here?

Yes I see your point, it continues across Penistone Rd, I have earlier maps where it is very clearly marked, I can assure you it does exist. Is it possible to copy and paste a picture on here?

You'll need to upload your image to some other site first (e.g. photobucket or flickr), then you can post a link to it.

I have found this link that shows the path in the 1950's although Carrwell Lane has shrunk since then, I have copies of later maps that show the path but I'm struggling to get a link sorted.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-188-1220869256.jpg

That map shows that a path exists (I think, I'm not that familiar with the style of map) - but it doesn't prove that there has ever been a right of way, or enough public usage to justify declaring it a right of way.

Do you know if old OS maps used to show it as a PROW?

On the old maps they were marked FP, footpath.

When the chapel was for sale last year I went to look with a view to buying, the Sheffield council public footpath sign was still there then but above the chapel not below it as it is shown on that map.

It is clearly marked with a black dotted line, there was a public footpath sign there up until recently, I have spoken to the council dept about it before and they acknowledged it's existence but told me at the time it would be hard work to clear it and they would prefer to open the entrance at the top of the station approach, but now they are not doing that it would seem this path is the only other option.

rights of way are Green dotted lines.