Bit of gardening advice please 😊

Me and my hubby are very new to gardening. We are in the process of creating some flower beds. Trying to cultivate the soil as best we can and have pulled no end of big stones out, roots, and clay I think. How much more do we need to do, will our soil be ok? We got one little part reasonably flat and planted some flowers yesterday, hope it wasn't too wet to plant. Is there any tips, do we need to mix any top soil or compost in? Also the rest of our garden is just pebbles and have dug many out ready to plant, there are lots!! Will it be ok to plant amongst them or will it hinder the growth? Also soil is very wet.:huh:

My advice is to just go ahead and plant, ans see how it goes. Don't plant anything too expensive to begin with. The soil may benefit from done compost, especially if it's wet, but I would take advantage of the summer (!) now, rather than spend ages preparing the soil. Just keep weeding and removing stones as you go along

Try nasturtiums, pansies, marigolds- cheap and cheerful