House share questions

Hi

I am currently having my house split into two. The idea is that in years to come, I would to have a ground floor flat available for my elderly mum should she need it. In the meantime, I am wanting to glean some of the money back that I have spent. The house has a porch with one door on the front and then inside, 2 separate doors, one leading to a downstairs one bedroom flat with disability access etc. The second door leads upstairs where I will live with my husband.

My initial plan had been to rent out the downstairs giving it its own postal address. However, on reflection, I think it will make better economical sense to offer this out on a house share basis, where the tenants can live completely independent from us in a fully furnished flat and the bills split between us.

Can anyone offer any thoughts, advice that I ought to be given consideration to regards renting versus house sharing.

Thank you

GG

Of course. All above board.

Have you got planning permission for this?

I'd recommend asking your solicitor to draw-up watertight documentation. Don't DiY!

If the occupants of the gorund floor are living independently from you and your husband (i.e., they have their own kitchen and bathroom as well as living space), then I think they cannot be your lodgers; they will, de facto, be your tenants.

As such I cannot see any advantage to calling it a house share as opposed to a an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

I may be wrong!