Remembering Mick Cowan

There's many a mention of Mick especially on the 'Big Hitters' thread. Everybody who knew him have their memories of him, and they are usually good. I know mine are. He was, at the time, knocking around with a girl I fancied and she introduced us. We got talking about the boxing business and stuff, but it was only for a few minutes. I remember him saying he'd had a go at playing trombone when he was in the Army. I don't know how much of the latter is true but we had the rap anyhow. Later on I'd see him in a pub somewhere and we'd acknowledge each other. Then one day, out of the blue, he did me a big favour, for which I was grateful, and really I hardly knew the guy. It doesn't seem much now but then it was massive. Then I left Sheffield and after a few years I read in 'Boxing News' how well he was doing, relatively, in the heavyweight division. And then I heard he was dead.

But what I would like to know is how he died. He could shove the booze away, but who didn't back then. He was fit, he wasn't without intelligence, he knew how to look after himself. So what went wrong?

My Dad was a big mate of his and I also met him a few times too in Fanny's (Lord Nelson ), I think it was a heart attack.