Sir harold west (director of newton chambers)

Gordon thats lovely of you to share,thank you.thank you everyone that has tried to help me find some history of where i work.i would love to hear any more history known or found and any pictures

Most houses contained at least one Newton Chambers co. product, something called IZAL. Joan Jones will be giving her talk "The Story of Izal" on the 21st February at Talbot Lane Methodist church Rotherham 10.30am. If you can get there it is a very interesting talk and she is very knowledgeable about Newton Chambers, you could ask her and Mel if they have any photos and information. Mel and Joan Jones are local historians and have written many books on the area including one "Most Enterprising Thing": Illustrated History to Commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the Establishment of Newton Chambers at Thorncliffe.

• 3 months later...

Harold West on arriving in Sheffield lived at The Horbury (now Horbury Hall) in Chapeltown. He then moved to Kenwood Park Road. Then to Raincliffe which is now Hartwell Care Home and finally to Muswell Lodge on Brinciliffe Crescent.

HESLEY WOOD originally formed part of the Earl Fitzwilliam's estate. During the 19th Century the land was acquired by mining company Newton Chambers Ltd. for coal mining.

Mining continued until the 1920's, when the site became dormant until 1946. In that year Newton Chambers Ltd. devised a scheme through their Managing Director, Sir Harold West, then County Commissioner, whereby the South Yorkshire Scout Association made use of the land at a peppercorn rent with the option to buy 68 acres of woodland plus 23 acres of grassland in 1970. Harold West died in 1968 but through the West Charitable Trust which he set up for his philanthropic purposes the Scout Association was able to purchase the freehold of the site.

• 2 years later...

My grandfather was an old friend of Harold West. I have a photo of them together as young men. He lived at Muswell Lodge Brincliffe Cres in Sheffield - if you search online you will find it - the house is beautiful. I have a letter written by Harold's wife to my grandfather to let him know that Harold had died.