Ruby Woods Shop.

jackanne

A legend. Her shop in Deepcar (opposite what is now the medical centre) on Manchester Rd was crammed to the rafters with stock and an absolute death trap. Having said that, if she did not sell, you didn't need it. She was very well thought of by the local community. I believe the flower bed outside the library commemorates her.

• 3 years later...

She lived next door to where the NatWest bank is.

The Chirch used to leave flowers from the Chirch on her outside window sill every Sunday when she was alive.

I remember She used to wear hobnailed boots

I was born in Stocksbridge & remember Ruby very well, she was a lovely lady & respected by everyone. I remember my mother always stopping to chat to her when Ruby had her shop on Manchester Rd. I am referring to the 1950's now.

Ruby was a customer of mine when i worked at H Turners at handsworth,she would come into warehouse with 2 large bags and some string and pack them up with whatever she bought and take it all back to stocksbridge on the bus,she could have had it delivered for free but insisted on taking it herself.

I once went in her house and it was as full as her shop.

I remember that she had some world cup willy items,from 1966 world cup, in her shop window,this would be about 1988!!