Cyclist should pay Road Tax

What on earth has potential speed got to do with tax liability?

Stated in a earlier post band A vechicles pay £0.00, bicycles would fall into this category.

It needs to be sorted. Being hit by a bicycle doing an average of 30 mph more than hurts. Just as much as a mobility scooter going 8 MPH

Try reading the rest of the thread before you parachute in with comments which have already been addressed.?

He can comment where he wants, what are you a Mod all of a sudden, just because he's not in agreement with you.:huh:

It needs to be sorted. Being hit by a bicycle doing an average of 30 mph more than hurts. Just as much as a mobility scooter going 8 MPH

If said bicycle or mobility scooter is travelling on the pavement (whether or not it hits anyone), then the rider is breaking the law and can be subjected to its enforcement.

If it is travelling on the public highway and it hits a pedestrian who is crossing the road, then the same principles will apply when determining fault as would apply with any other vehicle.

How much it 'hurts' is neither here nor there in terms of fixing vehicle excise duty. That is to do with how polluting (or not) the conveyance is, not how much damage it can do if it hits someone.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 23:07 ----------

There are many reasons people have more than 1 vehicle. Try to think outside the really tiny box.

Try to avoid clichés and concentrate instead on picking up on tongue-in-cheek irony when it appears.:rolleyes:

If said bicycle or mobility scooter is travelling on the pavement (whether or not it hits anyone), then the rider is breaking the law and can be subjected to its enforcement.

If it is travelling on the public highway and it hits a pedestrian who is crossing the road, then the same principles will apply when determining fault as would apply with any other vehicle.

How much it 'hurts' is neither here nor there in terms of fixing vehicle excise duty. That is to do with how polluting (or not) the conveyance is, not how much damage it can do if it hits someone.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 23:07 ----------

Try to avoid clichés and concentrate instead on picking up on tongue-in-cheek irony when it appears.:rolleyes:

Hi Alice.. I'm a little confused . Are you saying it don't matter about how much damage it could cause but more about the planets pollution? So a kid in a pram being knocked over by a bicycle or mobility scooter is not as important as pollution.?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 23:58 ----------

I think running a pedestrian over has greater concern than pollution problems.

Hi Alice.. I'm a little confused . Are you saying it don't matter about how much damage it could cause but more about the planets pollution? So a kid in a pram being knocked over by a bicycle or mobility scooter is not as important as pollution.?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 23:58 ----------

I think running a pedestrian over has greater concern than pollution problems.

And what does any of that have to do with how much duty road tax or whatever you want to call it should be paid.

And what does any of that have to do with how much duty road tax or whatever you want to call it should be paid.

Anything that is not walking speed and has wheels rather than legs, and travels faster than walking speed should pay road tax and insurance.

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 00:11 ----------

Walk the high street , A man or women bumps into your kid... Or a person doing 30 MPH on a bicycle , Or 8 MPH on a mobility scooter, what would do the most damage?

Some say they should not be on the path. ... I agree AND they need to pay road tax and insurance like the rest of us ... Keep them of the paths!

Anything that is not walking speed and has wheels rather than legs, and travels faster than walking speed should pay road tax and insurance.

So you are totally against band A vehicles like a BMW i3 not having to pay any VED.

So you are totally against band A vehicles like a BMW i3 not having to pay any VED.

Listen ... all I am saying is if you are on anything other than your legs pay tax and insurance.

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 00:23 ----------

Do a youtube on the damage caused by bicycles and mobility scooters... Some funny some not. They need to pay tax and insurance if said vehicle travels faster than walking speed. Just my opinion.

Edited by David Mckee

Listen ... all I am saying is if you are on anything other than your legs pay tax and insurance.

So you do think all motor vehicles that are VED band A should not be on the road.

What does tax have to do with how much damage a vehicle, bike, mobility scooter does.

Edited by DYKWIA

So you do think all motor vehicles that are VED band A should not be on the road.

What does road tax have to do with how much damage a vechicle does.

Just like when you were at school and the teacher said ... Read , Read and read again until you understand.

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 00:28 ----------

What does road tax have to do with how much damage a vechicle does..... ?!?! Read again ........ Others get it.

Let me help you .... Insurance pays when you crash your bicycle into a car etc... Tax helps pay for the road you drive your bicycle , mobility scooter on. Only you DONT But should!

Edited by David Mckee

Just like when you were at school and the teacher said ... Read , Read and read again until you understand.

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 00:28 ----------

What does road tax have to do with how much damage a vechicle does..... ?!?! Read again ........ Others get it.

Some may say bicycles should have insurance but road tax / VED has absolutely nothing to do with how much damage something causes.

I'm sure a band A vehicle can cause as much damage as a band M vehicle yet they both pay 2 totally different amounts of tax.