Anal glands/staffie

need a home visit by groomer to express my staffies anal glands and clip his nails.recommendations please.

The RCVS have recently changed their policies to state that they advise anal gland expression to be carried out solely by vets, as they believe that there may be a diagnosis required for impacted or infected glands that a groomer couldn't diagnose.

as far as i am aware, this means that groomers aren't insured for such service and wont provide it as a result. I think you will struggle to find a groomer to come to your home to do glands :(

h.hounds

thanks for info,its just my staffie is a fighter and a nightmare to take out,but i will have to carry on taking him to the vets,he nearly pulls my arms out when he spots another dog.

I would suggest doing his nails yourself, one a day. Just take a tiny bit off at a time if you can't see the quick.

As for glands, try and look into changing his diet so the won't need emptyig and only go to the vets when absolutely necessary.

I hope you manage to get him sorted.

h hounds

cheers.he is a rescue dog and they said he had his glands done every 3 months since we changed his diet on to complete dried food he as been fine i was just checking in case it happens again.

he had a bad life before i got him and had to have 10 teeth out due to being chained up and trying to chew the chain,needless to say he is spoiled rotten now and never leaves us.

I'm so sorry to hear about his past life :( I'm thankful to hear it worked out for him in the end. He must think he is in heaven! If he needs his nails doing, I am happy to show you how to do them so you can do them at home in the future, and arrange a time when there will be no other dogs if you'd want that :)

h hounds

cheers will keep your kind offer in mind.