Starting a cafe in south yorkshire

Im wanting to start a cafe in south yorkshire, typical greasy spoon sort of thing that offers delivery and eat in service. What kind of equipment and costs would anyone be able to advise me on? Im look for any information possible for setting up. Thanks in advance if you can help.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Im new to this forum thing so excuse my etiquette if incorrect!

I actually have a shop for sale in the Rotherham area. It isn't a typical greasy spoon but started out 2 years ago as a deli/ coffee shop. Posh meats and olives went down like a ton of bricks around here so we do more in the line of cooked breakfasts with hand cut bread, home made quiches etc. We do already offer a delivery service and buffets are on the up both for business and personal use.

It is currently owned by myself and a partner and we need to sell as she is getting a bit old, (I never said that though!) and I have family/ childcare/ health issues which require us to sell.

The set up costs of this type of business do vary according to premises and what equipment you require. We have for example a full barista machine which is worth its weight in gold.

Hop this helps a bit and of you are interested in either asking more questions about setting up or indeed my business itself- please feel free to ask

Im wanting to start a cafe in south yorkshire, typical greasy spoon sort of thing that offers delivery and eat in service. What kind of equipment and costs would anyone be able to advise me on? Im look for any information possible for setting up. Thanks in advance if you can help.

I don't owner a catering business but here are a few costs that you are likely to incur that might not be obvious:

1. Insurance, it will not be cheap. Try Hiscox to get a quote

2. PAT testing. All your equipment will need to be checked (a few hundred pounds would sort that out)

3. Advance payment on a property lease

4. Health & Safety audits by the local authorities

5. Business rates...ouch!

6. Staff wages whilst you are setting up the shop (recruiting and training)

7. Staff costs when staff walk out or let you down!

8. Marketing your new shop (don't assume your customers will know who you are, where you are and what you are offering!)

9. Buying stock

10. Writing off perishable stock when it goes off

I am sure there are more that relate specifically to running a shop, but I am not an expert in that area!

If you go ahead...all the best!

Edited by steveroberts
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fozzybear

Start with your business plan it can put you off but by doing one you will be on your way

to a café.

business plans are almost always wrong so just research your market.

keep your costs as low as you can on start up and your cash flow high as possible

take a look at nisbetts for all your equipment cookers table tops utensils and stuff, that

should give you a idea of the cost for the essentials.

some costs to consider maybe

premises

fixture and fittings

equipment

printing

insurance

food costs

delivery costs

fuel costs electric/ gas

furniture

rates

branding

There are a lot of costs to a café but it depends on what type of food business and the market/customers your going after premises is key though to a café so right next door

to a mcdonalds burger king is where I would set up.

gl