Its that time of year soon. Need remedy for oldest dog.

Bonfire night soon so need something to calm our

oldest dog leah down. She is now 6 and very nervous

on days running up to as well. Given her calming tablets

in the past and they dont work very well so recommendations please

Can't help you really here.. My dog doesn't care.

But isn't lavender a natural relaxant?

We have a similar thing with our youngest lurcher, he is scared of the dark, and of loud noises so this time of year is a real test for him.

We have just purchased a Thundershirt, it seems so far to be reducing his fear of the dark, he seems a lot more calm, but the fireworks still get to him. I have tried calmex, sculcap &valerian tablets and one of those firework CD's, all to no avail.

I have just been looking at rescue remedies, the liquid drops, so that i can get this down him without too much trauma (he does't do tablets!), but failing that, im afraid it will be a case of riding it out until the fireworks die down again, and starting again at xmas/new year!

Let me know if you find anything that works!

I've heard lots of positive recommendations for the 'Thunder Shirt'. I used to use the D.A.P Diffuser for my old dog & I put Bachs Rescue Remedy drops in her water. I always used to start using them at the very first firework I heard rather than waiting for the big night. I turned up the telly, kept all the curtains closed and she seemed to cope ok.

One of ours has started to question thunderstorms, never been a problem before, neither have fireworks so this year will be interesting.

During storms we let her do what she needs to do and if that means jumping on to the settee so be it. There's no talking or petting or shushing we just leave her to deal with it and she seems happier so long as she's close.

Some get frantic I know and I sympathise with anyone who's pets struggle. I've often wondered if it would be worth introducing loud bangs from a sound fx CD to familiarise them with sudden and strange noises.

If november panics her I may give it a try. Good luck with yours.