Which halls of residence to choose?

Definitely go for halls, they're a great way to meet people and there will always be someone you will click with. I know people who went straight into uni accomodation, and while they saved money, they only now know the 6 or so people they shared with and people off their course. If you go for halls you'll know the hundreds of people in halls plus all the people off your course, and it just makes moving away from home that bit easier. And the food isn't as bad as it's made out to be!

I would say go for Halifax, Ranmoor is quite a way out and it's a bit of an effort to go to 9o clock lectures when you're that far away and you didn't get in till 4am!

I was in Stevenson, it was great but some of the other halls (like Halifax and Sorby) were more sociable.

It depends on the policy of the halls as to whether you can leave your belongings there... I actually don't know of anyone who had to remove their stuff over Xmas/Easter but then I'm at Hallam so they may have different policies.

Halls are expensive but they're the best thing for first years as it's kind of a halfway house before the reality of a shared house, and its a brilliant way to meet people :)

When I was in Sorby Hall we had to move all our belongings out during christmas and easter, although that was 98/99. In self-catered uni accomodation we could leave our things there over christmas and easter, but had to move out at the start of the long summer vacation.

:)

Thanks for all the advice, its good to get some inside knowledge from people who have lived in halls, i think i can make a more informed decision now. Im definately going for halls for the first year, i'll meet more people and i wont have to cook! Finding private accommodation seems a bit of a daunting task for my first year, but i'll probably do this for my second and third years once i know Sheffield a bit better, and as for self catering, although the rent's cheaper, im not sure i could keep my food bill down sufficiently to make it more economical than halls.

My car got done over at ranmoor!!!

and did you know its an exact replica of a swedish prison!!!

Anywhere in sheffield 10 its safe clean green and near good transport links pubs and shops

hey

the contracts for halls at Shef uni vary. tapton has a 31 week contract, so you have to move your stuff out at xmas and easter, which is a bit of a pain but they have trunk rooms to put stuff in and i found i didnt really want to leave anything in my room anyway. And with a 31 week contract, its the cheapest.

Sorby, Earnshaw, Ranmoor and stevenson have 31 week contracts plus 7 weeks luggage storage, so u can keep your stuff in your room over xmas and easter, but can't live there.

Halifax has a 38 week contract so you could live there over xmas and easter if you wanted to, lots of international students choose it for that reason.

I'm a uni ambassador and show people round halls all the time, so have had experience of them all. I lived in tapton and do think its the best hall by far, as it has a real community feel. Earnshaw is nice too, definitely has the nicest bar. Ranmoor is huge, so if you're looking for a crazy uni experience def go for that, there's also an amazingly big bar in there, but for 800 students living there, they kinda need it. A lot of let's say 'posh' people live in stevenson, and for that reason it gets a bit abused in hall rivalries!

Def think you're making the right choice choosing halls though. Although the maybe £80 a week, you're getting your food, internet and bills paid for in that. i live in a £50 a week private house now i'm in my final year, and once bills and food are put on top of that it definitely adds up. And halls are def the best place for meeting loads of different people. i didnt get on too well with the girls on my corridor, but having 400 other people to meet, meant i made some fantastic friends :P

Good luck with everything, hope that was some help xx

hey

the contracts for halls at Shef uni vary. tapton has a 31 week contract, so you have to move your stuff out at xmas and easter, which is a bit of a pain but they have trunk rooms to put stuff in and i found i didnt really want to leave anything in my room anyway. And with a 31 week contract, its the cheapest.

Sorby, Earnshaw, Ranmoor and stevenson have 31 week contracts plus 7 weeks luggage storage, so u can keep your stuff in your room over xmas and easter, but can't live there.

Halifax has a 38 week contract so you could live there over xmas and easter if you wanted to, lots of international students choose it for that reason.

I'm a uni ambassador and show people round halls all the time, so have had experience of them all. I lived in tapton and do think its the best hall by far, as it has a real community feel. Earnshaw is nice too, definitely has the nicest bar. Ranmoor is huge, so if you're looking for a crazy uni experience def go for that, there's also an amazingly big bar in there, but for 800 students living there, they kinda need it. A lot of let's say 'posh' people live in stevenson, and for that reason it gets a bit abused in hall rivalries!

Def think you're making the right choice choosing halls though. Although the maybe £80 a week, you're getting your food, internet and bills paid for in that. i live in a £50 a week private house now i'm in my final year, and once bills and food are put on top of that it definitely adds up. And halls are def the best place for meeting loads of different people. i didnt get on too well with the girls on my corridor, but having 400 other people to meet, meant i made some fantastic friends :P

Good luck with everything, hope that was some help xx

Thanks, thats alot of help :) So at Tapton even though i cant leave my stuff in my room, i can still leave it in the halls in a trunk room? The reason i ask i because i live in wales so not very covenient for parents to pick me up for holidays, and it think i would have far too much stuff to bring back on the train with me....hehe

Im leaning towards Tapton now.....its the cheapest which is good and as long as i can leave my stuff in the halls even if its not in my room, then it sounds about right for me.

hey

Yes, in tapton on each corridor there's a trunk room, which is a massive room with loads of shelves for you to keep your stuff in during the hols. the rooms are locked over the hols, then you have to go to the porter to get the key once you come back, so it's very secure.

So you do have to clear out your room, but there's no need to take it all home and back again if you didn't want to.

good luck with everything xx

hey

Yes, in tapton on each corridor there's a trunk room, which is a massive room with loads of shelves for you to keep your stuff in during the hols. the rooms are locked over the hols, then you have to go to the porter to get the key once you come back, so it's very secure.

So you do have to clear out your room, but there's no need to take it all home and back again if you didn't want to.

good luck with everything xx

Thanks for clearing that up for me:) xxx

Whatever you do, DON'T stay with UNITE. Exchange Works expecially. Avoid it like the plague. I've been here 5 months and it's just been a miserable experience throughout. Poor security, building work at 8am every day for 2 months, state of the flats is terrible, internet's a rip off because it's way too slow, and to top it all off a drugs rehab center/needle exchange is being built on the ground floor. The sooner I leave here the better!

Hi Tamzin.

Just to throw in my 2 pence... my girlfriend lived in Halifax last year and I used to come up most weekends to see her. It's a nice place with an alright bar and not too far from town (half hour walk I'd say) or uni. I also know a few people living there this year and they're loving it. She had lightening fast internet but I'm not too sure on the leaving stuff in the rooms business as she paid to have the room in the holidays.

I should say though that all the people I know at Halifax have been in the en suite block and I'm not sure what the other rooms are like. And you can end up in any block I think.

For what it's worth it probably doesn't matter too much which hall you choose... it'll be the people you end up meeting that make the difference. And as just about everyone I know thinks their hall is the best in the world ever (for me that's County in Lancaster!) you'll probably love wherever!

I live in Walkley now and can definitely reccomend it for when you move out in your second year. Oh, and Sheffield's great - you'll love it here.