Reading in Sheffield

Some friends and I have formed a group called Reading Sheffield which has interviewed over 50 readers in Sheffield, currently over 70. We have found out a lot about how people in Sheffield came across the books they loved. One library comes up over and over again - that is the Red Circle Library. I know there was one in Snig Hill and one behind Brunswick Chapel at the intersection of London Rd and the Moor but I think there were others. If anyone has any memories of using the Red Circle I would really like to hear them. So many readers accompanied their parents in the 30s, 40s and 50s to the Red Circle libraries that they were a very important way in which people found their light reading.

Many thanks for this. I had come across the photograph before but not the different memories. One of our interviewees mentioned that in the Darnall branch the books were covered in sugar paper which was ripped off when the book was returned so that bugs weren't shared but I don't think that was the case in other branches because people remember bright covers. Apparently there were comments on the book all over the sugar paper cover.

I am trying to find out who ran these libraries and decided on stock. I don't think it was a national chain.

Some friends and I have formed a group called Reading Sheffield which has interviewed over 50 readers in Sheffield, currently over 70. We have found out a lot about how people in Sheffield came across the books they loved. One library comes up over and over again - that is the Red Circle Library. I know there was one in Snig Hill and one behind Brunswick Chapel at the intersection of London Rd and the Moor but I think there were others. If anyone has any memories of using the Red Circle I would really like to hear them. So many readers accompanied their parents in the 30s, 40s and 50s to the Red Circle libraries that they were a very important way in which people found their light reading.

There was a RED CIRCLE LIBRARY at Darnall.