Need to get ring valued, any ideas?

Hi there

I had a gold eternity ring made up in turkey with 16 diamonds in it, i was told it should be worth a lot more over in England.

Does anyone know where i can take it to get valued without it costing me too much??

Some gold shops want £40-£50, i don't want to pay that.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me

:help:

P & A jewellery do valuations but i'm not sure how much they charge. I traded my old ring against a new one so it didn't cost me anything.

I'll value it for you :cool: I'll meet you in the dark tunnel that runs under the road from london rd. Hows about 12pm sound?

Leslie Cass the jewellers on Surrey St valued my things for insurance purposes, they charge a % of the value I think... you could call them first to find out 272 3453

Thanks everyone, not sure about the dark tunnel though lol. I will give the shops a try :thumbsup:

Can you let us know any result?

I would be interested in whether they will have to take a sample from it to test the purity of the gold.

We have one or two similar items from overseas but have always backed away from valuation because who really wants to know if they have been conned when it is such a treasured item?

Originally posted by cgksheff

I would be interested in whether they will have to take a sample from it to test the purity of the gold.

We have one or two similar items from overseas but have always backed away from valuation because who really wants to know if they have been conned when it is such a treasured item?

I have just rang the shop called Leslie Cass on Surry St, and they will value upto 5 items for £30, it will take 7-10 days. I don't think thats a bad price so i may see what else i could take. I don't think they would take a sample of the gold, they can check things with machines these days, well they did in turkey to show us what we were buying.

Originally posted by Cheesemouse1

P & A jewellery do valuations but i'm not sure how much they charge. I traded my old ring against a new one so it didn't cost me anything.

Just rang them and they charge £15 and 1.5% of the value cost.

AJR Jewellry - Dinnington.

Completely top bloke, silversmith, goldsmith & personal friend :thumbsup:

Ring is worth nearly double what i paid for it in turkey, i went to get a price for alteration at P & A Jewellery and they gave me a rough estimate on what it was worth at no charge but i have nothing in paper but at least i know i wasn't conned.

Originally posted by cgksheff

I am a qualified jeweller myself.

Valuations for insurance purposes tend to be quite expensive as most places send them away because they should be done by a registered valuer.

They are definately worth the money they come with a photograph in a booklet all done to the proper specifications.

They DO NOT take a sample of the gold if it is not hallmarked it is tested with a drop of special acid which tells you the gold content, this is cleaned off before you get it back.

It is definately worth getting your jewellery hallmarked for your own piece of mind for a start and its not expensive.

If you take it to Bramalls Gold Room at hillsborough they charge about £16.50 and it takes about a week.

If you want a valuation to sell this is a totally different thing , it will be a lot less money because obviously the shop will sell it on to make a profit. These valuations are free!!:thumbsup::D