Wonderful passion Sheffield creates

helbco

Left Sheffield in 1966 - still consider it my "home". I am absolutely overwhelmed at the passion that exists around this city! Can't say I've found anything else to match!

Why is this so?

I still consider I have "Yorkshire values" - down to earth, hard working etc and I'm sure that drives a lot of other contributers to this site.

• 1 month later...

I think it’s probably because it’s our birthplace. I left Sheffield in 1951 but come back frequently to see my son. It’s changed a lot over the years, and my birthplace — a one up, one down in a courtyard (15 Bridport Road) — has thankfully gone, but the city is still my birthplace.

Funnily enough, having lived in Manchester since 1951 I have a similar passion for the place and write books about its history (http://www.peterwrightgraphics.co.uk), but you never forget your first love and mine, like yours, is Sheffield

Interestingly we have an identity that not many other counties do. Someone from down south on the tv was commenting on it the other day.

Nobody says they are a Wiltshireman or Herefordshireman or 'Lancastrian' with any pride or identity.

Say anywhere that your a Yorkshireman/woman they immediately know what you are talking about and the qualities associated with this green and pleasant land. :D

Sheffield is different. I have pride in our industrial heritage but say Sheffield to an American and the response usually goes along the lines of

"Oh we have a cousin in that 'town' do you know the _____ family." :hihi: