World Book Night (WBN) 2012, 23/04/2012

http://www.worldbooknight.org/

]World Book Night is a celebration of reading and books which sees tens of thousands of passionate volunteers gift books in their communities to share their love of reading.

In 2012 World Book Night will be celebrated in the UK, Ireland, Germany and USA on April 23.

This year each World Book Night title features an extract from another book chosen by the World Book Night author (or their estate or publisher) as well as a Shakespeare sonnet chosen by poet Don Paterson.

People will be giving out free books across the country to celebrate WBN.

I will be giving out Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities.

I am still deciding where to hand them out! But I will be sending one copy to Argentina! I hope they all become well travelled and read!

It is interesting to note there is also a fairly recent report about Sheffield of the same name.

Which is also well worth a read!

http://sasi.group.shef.ac.uk/research/sheffield/a_tale_of_2_cities_sheffield_project_final_report.pdf

It looks in detail at Sheffield; poverty and wealth, education, unemployment and income, housing, health, transport, government policy and spending.

Here is a part of the foreword;

Sheffield is England’s fourth largest city, with a population of over half a million. It is a microcosm and emblematic of the divide that exists in England between wealth and health on the one hand and poverty and inequality on the other.

Economic, social and community devastation hit Sheffield in the 1980s, when tens of thousands of jobs were lost in high-skilled steel and engineering within a very short period of time. The social impact, as well as that on the incomes of the households affected, was profound.

The City Council chose to use innovative and creative methods to maintain public expenditure in a counter-cyclical move to try to protect Sheffield from even more devastation in the form of further job losses and social fracture. It was the only major city in England not affected by riots and disturbances in the early 1980s and has retained a sense of identity, social cohesion and a fierce loyalty from its citizens ever since.

But despite the most enormous investment in health, education, housing infrastructure and the economic and social regeneration which has taken place over the last 12 years, the city remains unequal.

Bump - I have gave away most of my books, didn't take long in the town centre. Some people ran away, they must have thought I was a chugger or trying to sell something. :hihi:

well done - especially in this weather!!!

Have given (or put to one side for people) about 10 of my books. the rest are coming into work with me tomorrow.

well done - especially in this weather!!!

Have given (or put to one side for people) about 10 of my books. the rest are coming into work with me tomorrow.

I went out with half of them (12) and managed to give them away within 20 minutes whilst walking across town (I had to pop in for something else). A few reserved for people I know and then some for the neighbours. One has been posted to Argentina! :P And the rest are to be given out on public transport tomorrow morning!

"Escuse me, do you read books?" was my convo starter.

Often met by replies of both 'Yes' and 'No', even a few "not at all'"s. I saw one guy carrying books, he was greeted with a "Now then fella I know you like books!"

A few people literally ran (They must have thought I was a chugger!), One was new to town and I gave them directions AND a book :)

I wrote in the Unique codes, so it will be interesting to the see the book's journeys on the WBN website over time.

Would you like a copy of Dickens to read and pass on (after I have read it...)?

(Interestingly one man refused the book as he owned a copy - we spoke for a few minutes)

A few people literally ran (They must have thought I was a chugger!), One was new to town and I gave them directions AND a book :)

I wrote in the Unique codes, so it will be interesting to the see the book's journeys on the WBN website over time.

Would you like a copy of Dickens to read and pass on (after I have read it...)?

(Interestingly one man refused the book as he owned a copy - we spoke for a few minutes)

Brilliant - must admit I would have probably done the same (run that is expecially if you were on Fargate) :hihi:

Thank you for the offer but the only Charles Dickens I've ever really been able to get into is Christmas Carol find them reallly hard going. Esp with 2 kids when the only reading time i get is on the tram I need an easy to follow pick up/ put down book.