Knitting novice

Hi All

Well I've decided to take the plunge and try knitting. Now I only did this many many years ago at school where I knitted a dishcloth and to be fair it wasn't a great success :(

I (think) I can remember how to knit but I could never cast on or cast off and used to drop stitches left right and centre...despite this I'm willing to give it another go :clap: I suppose what I need to know is how do I get started? I know there are lots of clips on Youtube which will be helpful, but what size needles would I need or do I need to decide what I want to knit first? :help:

Any advice would be appreciated. xx

I would try with double knitting wool and size 4mm needles. Its not too fine and the needles not too little to manage. The knitting should grow fairly quick too. Its up to you what you decide to make. Good luck!!

I would try with double knitting wool and size 4mm needles. Its not too fine and the needles not too little to manage. The knitting should grow fairly quick too. Its up to you what you decide to make. Good luck!!

Thank you very much for your advice. Where would the best place be to go for knitting needles and wool? I was thinking of Hobbycraft? x

I have always thought that Hobbycraft was rather expensive. Atkinsons on The Moor has a decent selection of wool, patterns and accessories usually on offer and you can get a good bargain.

I have to say that my school knitting wasn't a fantastic success, to be fair to both of us it would be unreasonable to expect perfect work straight off. I made a wonky donkey, green with a yellow mane and I remember it perfectly despite it being forty years ago. There's a learning curve in knitting the same as in most activities and the more you do, the better you get. You might find it easier if you treat the first attempt as a training project, it doesn't have to "be" anything and you don't have to beat yourself up for dropped stitches or turning mid row. I'd stick with a smooth yarn, not fluffy or spiky, because it won't help you to see the stitches you are making and it will fight you if you need to rip it back.

I would agree with Wool4.. just practice stitches at first and knit squares to see how it goes.

My own memories of beginners knitting are that when pregnant with my daughter (now aged 31), I couldn't knit and tried a very plain raglan cardigan with someone on hand at all times to help me (my mum or my auntie). Despite my perseverance, it never got finished. However I am very proud to say that by the time my girl was 5 yrs old, I had knitted her an arran suit - a shawl neck jumper and a flared skirt - that was commented on whenever she wore it. It was hard work but entirely worth it. I was encouraged to keep at it by the beautiful items knitted for my baby by mum and my auntie. Although I could shape for sleeves etc and do cabling, I could never cast on/off for some reason!! Now i wonder why I never could!!

My daughter is now expecting her second baby and I need to get the needles clicking - there are some wonderful patterns available and some old faithfuls that mum used to do for my sisters and I when we were little.

p.s. the skirt was knitted on 4 needles although I wouldn't want to frighten you off here!!!)

I would agree with Wool4.. just practice stitches at first and knit squares to see how it goes.

My own memories of beginners knitting are that when pregnant with my daughter (now aged 31), I couldn't knit and tried a very plain raglan cardigan with someone on hand at all times to help me (my mum or my auntie). Despite my perseverance, it never got finished. However I am very proud to say that by the time my girl was 5 yrs old, I had knitted her an arran suit - a shawl neck jumper and a flared skirt - that was commented on whenever she wore it. It was hard work but entirely worth it. I was encouraged to keep at it by the beautiful items knitted for my baby by mum and my auntie. Although I could shape for sleeves etc and do cabling, I could never cast on/off for some reason!! Now i wonder why I never could!!

My daughter is now expecting her second baby and I need to get the needles clicking - there are some wonderful patterns available and some old faithfuls that mum used to do for my sisters and I when we were little.

p.s. the skirt was knitted on 4 needles although I wouldn't want to frighten you off here!!!)

I'be been inspired by my friend who has knitted a beautiful blanket. It's a little bit like a patchwork quilt, as in there are many different squares all joined together in different coloured wools and beading. It really is gorgeous.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with casting on and casting off although you have obvioulsy mastered the art now by the sounds of it :)

But 4 needles........:o good grief, how on earth......

I have to say that my school knitting wasn't a fantastic success, to be fair to both of us it would be unreasonable to expect perfect work straight off. I made a wonky donkey, green with a yellow mane and I remember it perfectly despite it being forty years ago. There's a learning curve in knitting the same as in most activities and the more you do, the better you get. You might find it easier if you treat the first attempt as a training project, it doesn't have to "be" anything and you don't have to beat yourself up for dropped stitches or turning mid row. I'd stick with a smooth yarn, not fluffy or spiky, because it won't help you to see the stitches you are making and it will fight you if you need to rip it back.

Thank you for your advice, I think I may just attempt a scarf to start off with :) in one colour so that I don't overcomplicate matters.

Thank you for your advice, I think I may just attempt a scarf to start off with :) in one colour so that I don't overcomplicate matters.

Good luck, I am sure it will be brilliant and there will be such an amazing sense of achievement when you have finished it :)

Hi All

Well I've decided to take the plunge and try knitting. Now I only did this many many years ago at school where I knitted a dishcloth and to be fair it wasn't a great success :(

I (think) I can remember how to knit but I could never cast on or cast off and used to drop stitches left right and centre...despite this I'm willing to give it another go :clap: I suppose what I need to know is how do I get started? I know there are lots of clips on Youtube which will be helpful, but what size needles would I need or do I need to decide what I want to knit first? :help:

Any advice would be appreciated. xx

hi the lady who said about the 4mm needles and the double knitting wool is right. also do you have a local knitting group you could join? where abouts do you live. i would be glad to help you out but i live in stocksbridge if thats any good. alweays happy to spread the knitting bug. carolyn.

Hi, not sure if you are interested in knitting workshops but Running With Scissors runs 'knitting for beginners' workshops. This workshop covers cast on, cast off, knit and purl and you get to knit a small project to take home. We will also soon be running 'knitting for improvers' workshops too, whcih will cover techniques such as increasing and decreasing and different stitch patterns. Workshops are on Saturdays in south or central Sheffield. Lots more information is on our website at http://www.rwssheffield.co.uk - thanks Emma :)