What to do between wedding & reception

HI, I'm helping my brother plan his wedding, He gets married at 10 o clock at the town hall and then is having the evening reception from 7.30pm. Alot of the guests aren't from Sheffield (coming as far away as Plymouth) so we were after idea as to what we could do to entertain people in the afternoon. The cheaper the better:hihi:

Don't think you have to worry so much. The guests should be able to use the opportunity to mingle and hang out with other guests whom they know.

For the record, I had a morning wedding, followed by a brunch/lunch for the guests and then the evening reception at 7.30pm. The bride & groom will be plenty occupied during these few hours so the last you want to be worried about is the guests.

Just my two cents

• 3 weeks later...

I got married at 10.30am and was worried about the gap so I took a wii and set that up for guests to play with but it wasn't touched!! They just wanted to drink in the bar!!

Other ideas could be giant outdoor games or indoor board games ( we thought about that ). You could have a photo booth or magician too.

Maybe a bouncy castle for the kids or gave the children at my wedding activity packs i.e. colouring and sticking type things and books for the babies.

It depends on what the venue is like and how many children you have and whether people are big drinkers or not.

We're having a garden party style thing. With bouncy castle, outdoor play and A Bake off / Cheese of which everyone seems to want to taking part in (instead of canapés) washed down with ale and cider (instead of bubbly).

We have a marqee and a large green area all to ourselves at the venue and lots of friends and family who really like cheese and cake.

We like it because it's fun, will allow a mixture of play and mingling and our bar will be in the marquee so big enough to accommodate guests if it rains.

As others have said, guests are generally very good at mingling and catching up with each other which helps pass the time. A key point though is where can they go for the intervening time as they will want lunch somewhere? Can they go to the reception venue early and prop up the bar there?