Where to get good careers advice

Are there still places where you can go for careers advice in Sheffield, as an adult?

Would really appreciate a general chat to someone about options, am at a bit of a crossroads and too many factors need to be taken into account when deciding what to do for the best.

Speaking to friends etc is all very well but sometimes you need someone with the knowledge of the local job market and with an outside perspective. Being able to look at the very practical side (finances etc) but also the personal side, such as me saying what is important to me in a job and looking at options stemming from that...

Sorry bit vague, hope it makes sense!

I think you need to give us a clue what you like and don't like then ask people what sort of jobs fit into that category. Ask people already doing those types of jobs about the pros and cons. What jobs have you done and what did you/didn't you like about them? A few questions I would start with:

Full time or part time?

9-5, shifts or weekend work?

Indoors or outdoors?

Service industry/public facing or not?

Manufacturing/office based/ mobile?

Is the money or job satisfaction most important?

Just a few questions for starters.

Im asking these questions as I have never been given decent careers advice even though I have always know what I wanted to do. As a child still at school I managed to find more out for myself than any careers guidance that was offered.

Thanks Chez2. I agree with your points, but my query related to a service where you can go and actually speak to someone about careers. (As opposed to asking for advice from forum users, though I am sure I would get some decent advice...it does mean personal information has to be shared and I am not entirely comfortable with that).

I have actually found such a service and spoken to someone already; it was a very good experience, despite my initial reservations about careers advice (probably coming from getting some very poor quality advice back when I was a teenager!)

I have actually found such a service and spoken to someone already; it was a very good experience, despite my initial reservations about careers advice (probably coming from getting some very poor quality advice back when I was a teenager!)

It would be great if you can share the name of the service, if you are allowed to or you're inclined.

I'm sure there are others in the same situation as yours.

I was going to post the name of the service and my experience as a separate thread, but here goes - its called Sheffield futures and based on division street:-)

I'm glad you got sorted and it's nice to hear that there is some good advice available out there.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you should think it necessary for anyone to know your personal and finance details though.

I'm glad you got sorted and it's nice to hear that there is some good advice available out there.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you should think it necessary for anyone to know your personal and finance details though.

Finance details - wouldn't have been necessary at all, don't think I mentioned this?

Personal - if I did want actual careers advice here, I would have had to share some employment background and aspirations, which is peculiar enough to make someone easily recognised, and sometimes that's not ideal..

And yes, it is reassuring that we have such a great service in Sheffield.I hope it gets promoted widely and more people can benefit from it.

thank you:)

seems Sheffield Futures is there under the name New Futures.

A lot of the rest on the list are employment agencies, suppose you can use them for advice but will never be fully impartial as they are a business with its own interests.