Anyone know of any sign language courses??

Originally posted by silver_lady

In reply to wendys post, yes it does take time to learn, but nothing worthwhile is learnt overnight. My daughter who is hearing passed her level 1 BSL when she was 13. BSL is used by the deaf community, don't be put off by hearsay. My auntie went deaf literally overnight and found BSL her communication lifeline, she says that without BSL her life would be miserable. That is what puts in in perpective for me. I don't find it easy to learn, but i still keep plugging at it!

I was specifically advised by the sign language training body it is not suitable for me because becoming competent takes a long time. I dont have that luxury because of all the additional writing as a result of my voice loss.

Life is definitely miserable because none of the organisations I deal with regularly take my highly disabling speech impairment at all seriously including my speech therapist who I was led to believe would advise me on suitable strategies to overcome my difficulties. Did she heck. With great reluctance they accepted my GPs initial advice of a computer with WP and Text to Speech software, which although good, does not compare with the spontaneity involved with the real voice.

It is a case of horses for courses and there may be other effective communciations methods for example my DWP Advisor thought the Tablet PC which allows people to handwrite would also be suitable for deaf people. Granted it may be slower than signing but more people can read handwriting than they can understand sign language.

Originally posted by viking

IS THIS the kind of sign language you mean? :hihi:

Although I cant speak for people who are deaf it may be a step in the right direction to all those gits I have to deal with on a daily basis who are so pig-ignorant about my disability although arent you taking it out of context.:P

Hi Wendy, I'm really sorry to hear about your speech problem, and that BSL isn'nt the best course of action for you, would it be worth trying to get a second opinion re your speech therapist? Best wishes to you the very best of luck in the future in your quest for communication. Please feel free to PM me any time.:):thumbsup::)

Originally posted by silver_lady

Hi Wendy, I'm really sorry to hear about your speech problem, and that BSL isn'nt the best course of action for you, would it be worth trying to get a second opinion re your speech therapist? Best wishes to you the very best of luck in the future in your quest for communication. Please feel free to PM me any time.:):thumbsup::)

Hi silver lady thanks for your very kind concern which is very deeply appreciated. :wave::wave::wave:

Wish I could say the same for useless speech therapists whose entire strategy to date has been to bully me in to deferring to their bunkum and use a bloody awful servox device sounding like a male dalek (check out voice loss update thread for dalek link and you'll see what I mean).

The plain truth is that I am really worried about my voice which often goes completely even in the most stress-free of situations. As voice plays an important part of my female identity I do not want to sound like a flaming male dalek.

By the end of that session they doubted its suitability because of documentary issues; the Head of Department later agreed BUT consistently failed and refused to confirm what she said without having given any reasons. The upshot is they say what they want and we are expected to believe them just because they are so-called "experts" :suspect: :suspect: