Proposed Allotment Rent Increases in Sheffield

I found this on a website. Makes some interesting points.

We’ve come to expect inflation increases in allotment rents each year, usually the subject of much moaning on the site but acceptable. A pound or two a year has been the norm ever since I took on my plot but these increases are extortion.

David points out that Barnet in London is going up from £58 a year for a standard 10 rod plot to £170 and non-residents of the borough are looking at an increase from £110 to £340 a year.

It’s not just London allotments, apparently Leeds and Manchester have jumped onto the bandwagon. I dare say many other councils will be taking a lead from them and rubbing their grubby hands at the thought of an increase in revenue.

Now we know times are hard and that money has to be saved from the public purse, but are allotments the right target? In recent years the popularity of allotments has increased and we’ve seen an influx of new blood on the sites which is very welcome. Young mothers bringing their children to learn where the food on the plate comes from and professional’s discovering a new and fashionable hobby. I’ve even heard of some people paying a gardener to look after a plot for them, which defeats the object in my book!

NSALG Self-defeating

NSALG managed to shoot themselves in the foot by publishing and promoting heavily a report claiming the average plot could save a family £1564 a year. I personally think that is bunkum, most keen plot holders won’t save anything like that. However, it’s ammunition for the councils. If you’re saving £1500 then charging £300 isn’t so bad, they say. Of course allotment holders save money but if that was the only reason for having a plot then they’d be better off getting a second job. At just £6 per hour their time would generate over £900 a year.

Core Allotment Holders

There are some on the sites who won’t find £300 a year worth worrying about but many of us will. The retired on fixed incomes which shrink in value as everything else increases, those on sickness benefits and the unemployed just can’t pay this.

Those in low paid jobs, the traditional working class, are really feeling the squeeze and increases like that are the final straw. Yet these are the people allotments were created for and they’re the people who will still be digging away long after fashions have changed the wealthy have found new hobbies.

Social Benefits of Allotments

Allotments have never been meant to be rented at an economic rent. They’re a social benefit. They mix people in a positive way. Rich or poor, old or young, religion or race just fade into the background and lose their importance when people share a passion and tips.

Physical health is improved of course, which has to save money for the NHS and there are proven mental health benefits as well. I know myself that overwhelming problems fall into perspective after a day on the plot re-connecting with reality and chatting to other people.

When I first took on my plot we had serious financial problems and quite frankly they could easily have crushed me. Now there are many people in the same position and time spent in a hobby that actually saves money rather than costing money can really help.

What to do about allotment rent increases

If your council are trying to increase your allotment rent unfairly then the best way to counter it is on the political front. Remember, all politicians want to get re-elected so something that threatens that will be taken seriously.

Download a list of your councillors from the web site and write to the all. Don’t email – write on paper. Letters are always taken more seriously than email. Mail merge is helpful for this.

Point out the benefits of allotments, find out what they’re increasing charges in other areas by and compare to those. For example, ‘The price of parking has risen by 5% but the proposed allotment rent increase is 300%’ Get others on the site to write or at least sign your letter.

Petitions have some effect but far more if they’re handed in with the local press and a photographer taking shots. Make it clear that “We’re as mad as hell and we aren’t going to take it anymore!”

Allotment Conspiracy Theory?

If they increase the rents and drive off the core plot holders, eventually they end up with empty sites to sell to developers when the market turns around, as it will, in a few years.

If you want to keep your plot affordable, if you want to keep your plot then you need to take action. Not national action, this is a local issue, you need to take local action.

They should provide allotments free to people, one each.

very interesting NP, thanks for that.

Here is a summary of decisions taken at Allotment Advisory Group:

- The Allotment Advisory Group are an advisory group, decisions are made by the Cabinet Member and on this occasion was ratified at the Budget Council on Friday 4th March.

- Payments in advance (subject to looking into quarterly payments & direct debit arrangements) and the 7.5% increase for 2012 / 13 will go ahead.

- The longer term big increase is open to further consultation.

Apparently:

- the allotments service is heavily subsidised by the council

- the rent doesn't cover the costs

- water is one of the biggest costs

very interesting NP, thanks for that.

Here is a summary of decisions taken at Allotment Advisory Group:

- The Allotment Advisory Group are an advisory group, decisions are made by the Cabinet Member and on this occasion was ratified at the Budget Council on Friday 4th March.

- Payments in advance (subject to looking into quarterly payments & direct debit arrangements) and the 7.5% increase for 2012 / 13 will go ahead.

- The longer term big increase is open to further consultation.

Apparently:

- the allotments service is heavily subsidised by the council

- the rent doesn't cover the costs

- water is one of the biggest costs

It is good news that the longer term increase is still open for further consulation. Does anyone know how the process of consultation works? Will current allotment holders be involved?

That the rent doesn't cover the cost of running the allotment office/ sites etc is obvious, but I think that one does need to look at what the costs actually are.

It has been mentioned on here that non council allotments are able to manage and maintain their plots successfully for lower annual rent charges so maybe it's worth looking how they do things. I am sure their annual bill is considerably lower. I appreciate people don't get paid because they volunteer but I am sure that will not be the only reason.

annette - we're pretty much in the dark. I'm waiting for Councilor Jillian Creasey to come back to me with answers similar to those you've asked.

Are you a member of the Fed ? I'm guessing it will be on the April agenda - unfortunately there isn't a meeting in March

Its true that water is the biggest expense on an allotment site but not to the degree that it impacts on such dramatic rent increases.

Our highest weekly usage last year in the height of summer was £155, we estimate that this year on a 210 plot site with animals and a good summer we will use approximately £3000. Thats £14 per plot per year.

If water saving initiatives are implemented I estimate the bill to be approx £2500

Well i've been having a look round on the net and I came across this little snippet of information:

A Mr Harwood successfully challenged Reigate & Banstead Borough Council in the High Court Chancery Division when his allotment rent was increased by 300%. His argument was that the increase was not reasonable, and the judgement was that a Council could charge what it liked for allotment rental but as allotments are a recreational amenity, the rent increases must be in line with increases applied to other recreational amenities provided by the council. The Council cannot by law raise rents of allotment holders in isolation of other recreational amenities. This is discriminatory practice and is unlawful.

And while the increase proposed isn't quite as drastic as the one in that info, does this mean that if they decide to increase rents they have to raise the price of say the local swimming baths?

Well i've been having a look round on the net and I came across this little snippet of information:

A Mr Harwood successfully challenged Reigate & Banstead Borough Council in the High Court Chancery Division when his allotment rent was increased by 300%. His argument was that the increase was not reasonable, and the judgement was that a Council could charge what it liked for allotment rental but as allotments are a recreational amenity, the rent increases must be in line with increases applied to other recreational amenities provided by the council. The Council cannot by law raise rents of allotment holders in isolation of other recreational amenities. This is discriminatory practice and is unlawful.

And while the increase proposed isn't quite as drastic as the one in that info, does this mean that if they decide to increase rents they have to raise the price of say the local swimming baths?

Pretty much yes, although it would probably have to be charges for facilities provided by Parks and Countryside Department. It's also worth remembering that actual rents are proposed to got up between 50-70% for two years - it's only because they include water in the overall costs that the actual percentage looks much lower. They're not allowed to make a profit on the water element of the bill.