'Dads and Tots' groups in Sheffield?

mattlollar

I've been taking my kids to the Sharrow Surestart stay and play at Highfield church for the last few years on a Thursday morning (10-12) - theres loads of dads come along to this and have always been made more than welcome - I'm sure they'd appreciate another one! I can see how you'd feel awkward, all that talk of breastfeeding and losing the baby weight etc I bet can be off putting for a guy, but sometimes it's just nice to have a normal conversation with someone who just happens to be a parent too - of either gender - and generally muck about with the kids - go on be brave come and try it out, you might surprise yourself!

I don't have any problem going to mums and tots except for the fact that I have yet to find one where I was welcomed as a dad and not made to feel awkward, is that just me?

no, not just you. When I went I got lots of awkward looks from the other mums. It ended up me entertaining most of the kids whhilst the mums had their chat.

Ive heard the st thomas, crookes one, mentioned above is good, but cant verify, ours were too old when I found out about it.

see if you can get hold of "chatterbox", a bi-monthly FOC publication for parents of babies/toddlers and distributed through libraries, though its mainly for those living in S6/S10. It lists lots of groups and has some good articles

• 3 years later...

Might be a bit far for you, but I take my grandaughter to the Monsters play centre, which is on a industrial estate at handsworth. It's not exactly a group, everyone is welcome. There are lots of men there with their children and grandchildren. Cost justs £2.50 for toddlers(Wednesdays) , and they get a drink and biscuits, and colouring/activity table. There are lots of soft play areas, slides, little cars, etc. there is a cafe which serves hot meals as well as snacks. The staff are lovely.

If this is too far for you to travel, I'm sure you will find similar places nearer to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mattlollar,

The NCT have a Dad's group:

"Have you heard about our recently started Dad's group? The group meets in various locations across Sheffield each week, often outdoors, for a fun couple of hours.

If you look after your little one or little ones during the week and would like to get together with other Dad's doing the same then please email Charlotte on groupsnctsheffield@gmail.com for more information."

Hope you find a group that works for you.

Lucy

• 4 months later...