'Dads and Tots' groups in Sheffield?

Hey everyone, being self employed I often have the opportunity to take my little girl(1yr) to play groups, but all of them are 'Mums and Tots' and I am wondering if there are any dads and tots groups? I don't have any problem going to mums and tots except for the fact that I have yet to find one where I was welcomed as a dad and not made to feel awkward, is that just me?

There are many surestart centres around sheffield. They all do father/child sessions. Look them up and see where there is one near you and enquire which day they run it. I agree it must be awkward joining a mums / babies group, but if you go to the same one time and again I am sure they will all include you in their banter.

I do know about the Sharrow Surestart one it is on a Saturday morning and I meant to say earlier I am looking for a 'midweek' one!

Hello, i know a wonderful group at St Thomas church in Crookes that do groups just for dads.

hi i am also looking for dads and toddlers groups,have been for ages,if you find an apropriate one let me know?

The King's Kids Group (Union Road Nether Edge) runs Monday and Friday mornings 9.45 - 11.30.

It's open to mums / dads / we have a group of nannies / grandparents.

I'm sure you would be made welcome - there was quite a few dads (including my hubby) this morning, although like all groups more mums than any other category...

pm me if you want more info

You would be very welcome to come to the 3 groups for dads (or other male carers) and their under 5's which I run through my work.

Every Saturday 10.30am - 12.30pm my colleagues and I run a popular dads group at Sharrow SureStart, Sharrow Lane, S11 8AL. Today we have been cooking and eating pizza, painting, singing, chatting, etc.

On Tuesdays 9.30am-11.30am I am running two very friendly groups for Action for Children (formerly NCH). The first is at St.Peters Greenhill, Reney Avenue, S8 7FN

The other is 1.30pm-3pm at Newfield Green Clinic S2 2BS

All these groups are free of charge and include a snack and a drink.

My work mobiles are 07872503499 and 07977565518

P.S. There are other weekday dads groups at Parsons Cross, High Green and Woodthorpe and Saturday groups at Crookes, Shooters Grove, Primrose Hill and Greenhill. In the Summer we are planning football and cricket tournaments between men from the different children's centres.

Edited by Phil E

I've been taking my kids to the Sharrow Surestart stay and play at Highfield church for the last few years on a Thursday morning (10-12) - theres loads of dads come along to this and have always been made more than welcome - I'm sure they'd appreciate another one! I can see how you'd feel awkward, all that talk of breastfeeding and losing the baby weight etc I bet can be off putting for a guy, but sometimes it's just nice to have a normal conversation with someone who just happens to be a parent too - of either gender - and generally muck about with the kids - go on be brave come and try it out, you might surprise yourself!

I don't have any problem going to mums and tots except for the fact that I have yet to find one where I was welcomed as a dad and not made to feel awkward, is that just me?

no, not just you. When I went I got lots of awkward looks from the other mums. It ended up me entertaining most of the kids whhilst the mums had their chat.

Ive heard the st thomas, crookes one, mentioned above is good, but cant verify, ours were too old when I found out about it.

see if you can get hold of "chatterbox", a bi-monthly FOC publication for parents of babies/toddlers and distributed through libraries, though its mainly for those living in S6/S10. It lists lots of groups and has some good articles