About jobs and people not getting back to people

I've been unemployed for over 12mths and i can tell you i have applied for 800 jobs during that time or there abouts, i've kept a record of all of them and most have been via email applications ( covering letter/cv) while i have had no luck in gaining a job i have had at least 15+ interviews in the last months, only in the last few weeks i had 4 in a week and didn't get any of them, I always ask during the interview how many people are being interviewed and should i not be fortunate enough to gain the job i ask them to supply me with feedback on my interview skills and a reason as to why i wasn't suitable for the job, its important because if i'm not being succesfull then i need to know so i can improve for the next application, so far no one has given me any constructive advice or a suitable reason as to why i haven't got the job, if you have only 3 or 6 people being interviewed surely they have the time to give constructive advice to the people who have taken the time and effort to apply for the position??

I even had my advisor at the jobcentre contact one particular job i had been for because he failed to reply to my email when i asked for feedback and a reason why i wasn't suitable for the job, there had been only myself and 2 others who were being interviewed for the job so to say he hadn't the time to reply doesn't really wash, he didn't even have the courtsey to answer her or her email either... i dont think they realise the impact this has on people, to be constantly rejected and then not be given any reasons so you can improve yourself for furture applications is totally soul destroying and has a massive effect on your confidence.

I've been told before that its either due to not enough experience or i'm too experienced its ridiculous, I have over 8 years experience in admin inc sage all microsoft packages invoicing taking orders,payements etc the list is endless so how much more experience does someone need to be given a job????

Edited by blondie-blue

It doesn't have to be that you aren't suitable for some reason, all it needs is that one of the other two is more suitable, or interviews better. So they might have no useful feedback to offer, I've interviewed people before and recommended we hire someone else, simply because the 2nd person came across better, that's not helpful feedback though.

I think another part of it - other than lack of time - is that employers don't know what they CAN say to someone who isn't right. From what I have understood at where I work there's so many conflicting guidelines and rules out there that if someone rings up asking for feedback you dont know what you can say without potentially getting yourself into trouble.

Recently where I work we have been looking for someone but we need specific knowledge and experience, but to say that you need experience could be seen as agism etc so its seen to be safe than sorry and to say nothing.

One thing we have seen a lot of is LOADS of people who are way overqualified for a job - eg 2 university degrees and they are applying for a filing job. Its obvious its a waste of their potential and that they wont stay - who would?

I think its best to have the mindset of if you dont get a reply you just aren't what they are looking for, keep your chin up and move on - perfect job for you might be around the corner, and keep trying your best. ;)

Agencies are the worst people of all. They promise you jobs and deliver nothing. They don't call you back when they say they will. I have had meetings with numerous recruitment consultants in Sheffield and Leeds and never heard from them again. If they don't want to help you I

I agree! In the past I have applied for vacancies via agencies, they invite you down to register and discuss the role, then when you get there they say, oh that job has gone now, but register anyway for future vacancies. I found it a complete waste of my time!! As they then just call you wishing to put your CV forward for roles you dont want. If the vacancy has gone then they should let you know before the meeting.

I agree! In the past I have applied for vacancies via agencies, they invite you down to register and discuss the role, then when you get there they say, oh that job has gone now, but register anyway for future vacancies. I found it a complete waste of my time!! As they then just call you wishing to put your CV forward for roles you dont want. If the vacancy has gone then they should let you know before the meeting.

I second this. It's a pain when you find out after spending an hour or so in an agency completing their typing and computer skills tests, along with telling them where you have been all your life, to find out what you went in for is no longer there - or what I suspect - was never there to begin with.

I second this. It's a pain when you find out after spending an hour or so in an agency completing their typing and computer skills tests, along with telling them where you have been all your life, to find out what you went in for is no longer there - or what I suspect - was never there to begin with.

But they are willing to find you a job. I don't think it matters if the job has already gone, it's disappointing yes, but they are still there to look on your behalf for any other job. At least for future reference they know you personality & can put you forward for anything else they have.

But they are willing to find you a job. I don't think it matters if the job has already gone, it's disappointing yes, but they are still there to look on your behalf for any other job. At least for future reference they know you personality & can put you forward for anything else they have.

I dont agree with you there, when I have applied for jobs via the agency it is because I was interested in that vacancy. I still stand to what I said about it being rude for them not to let you know the vacancy applied for has gone. Or as mentioned above, that the vacancy was never there to start with. I work Mon-Fri 9am-5pm for me to get to the agencies, I will have had to take at least half a day holiday or pulled a sickie if it was short notice. To then get there and find I have wasted my time and petrol does not please me.

I applied for a vancancy via an agency a couple of months ago and when I got there the recruiter told me the max per annum the company wanted to pay was actually £2500 less a year than he had advertised!! He said he was trying to talk the client into paying the extra £2500 and he thought that was more the correct amount but they would not budge. If I had known the true salary I would not have wasted my time going in the first place.

I dont agree with you there, when I have applied for jobs via the agency it is because I was interested in that vacancy. I still stand to what I said about it being rude for them not to let you know the vacancy applied for has gone. Or as mentioned above, that the vacancy was never there to start with. I work Mon-Fri 9am-5pm for me to get to the agencies, I will have had to take at least half a day holiday or pulled a sickie if it was short notice. To then get there and find I have wasted my time and petrol does not please me.

I applied for a vancancy via an agency a couple of months ago and when I got there the recruiter told me the max per annum the company wanted to pay was actually £2500 less a year than he had advertised!! He said he was trying to talk the client into paying the extra £2500 and he thought that was more the correct amount but they would not budge. If I had known the true salary I would not have wasted my time going in the first place.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you had applied for the job via the agency. I've never done this, the agency contact me with a job that they think is suitable to me, that is the situation I was referring to.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you had applied for the job via the agency. I've never done this, the agency contact me with a job that they think is suitable to me, that is the situation I was referring to.

Yeah I applied for a particular vacancy. But I see what you mean, for instance if I had just called in and registered and then they called with job offers. We have had quite a few ex agency recruiters within out sales team at work. So i guess when I meet them I just see them using their sales charisma to sell a position to me, and then in turn sell me to their client. A bit like prostitution lol :hihi: :hihi:

But in seriousness, I do tend to avoid applying for job where agencies are involved.

Yeah I applied for a particular vacancy. But I see what you mean, for instance if I had just called in and registered and then they called with job offers. We have had quite a few ex agency recruiters within out sales team at work. So i guess when I meet them I just see them using their sales charisma to sell a position to me, and then in turn sell me to their client. A bit like prostitution lol :hihi: :hihi:

But in seriousness, I do tend to avoid applying for job where agencies are involved.

How come?.

I'm looking for work and view agencies jobs as not real jobs. What I mean by this is that when I see one and submit my CV it doesn't go on my list of 'leads' for various reasons discussed above.

The only ones that go on my spreadsheet are jobs where companies advertise.

a quick email or phonecall after an interview is a must. perhaps not when you just send in an application, but its the height of bad manners to interview someone and just not get in touch with them to tell them if they were successfull or not. and richarda, your right, they would only interview 5-10 people so how long would it take to phone or email 9 people .. not long at all !