8/11/10 Stocksbridge Bypass A616 closed

is it access only? ie. can you get off at Stocksbridge/Deepcar? cant see why not if the lorry is at Langsett

As of 9pm last night there was no option for 'Access Only' as there was a vehicle parked across the exit from the Tankersley roundabout and cones across the whole exit (although the exit onto the roundabout from the Stocksbridge bypass was open and cars were coming down the other way).

This was signposted all the way from the M62 last night, which was quite impressive.

yeah well its a major link road from the north west to the midlands and as such should me a motorway but we wont go there, thats another thread!

As of 9pm last night there was no option for 'Access Only' as there was a vehicle parked across the exit from the Tankersley roundabout and cones across the whole exit (although the exit onto the roundabout from the Stocksbridge bypass was open and cars were coming down the other way).

well there was nothing stopping me joining at the Deepcar junction either this morning but i decided to go through wharncliffe and oughtibridge anyway to go towards Sheffield

This happened about 5:30pm last night. It must have just happened as I was on my way home because I was about 10 cars behind the lorry. It was a massive fire! could only just recognise it as a lorry! then after 5 minutes stuck behind it the lorry blew up! massive explosion. not sure how it happened but had to go through penistone this morning to get on to the woodhead

This happened about 5:30pm last night. It must have just happened as I was on my way home because I was about 10 cars behind the lorry. It was a massive fire! could only just recognise it as a lorry! then after 5 minutes stuck behind it the lorry blew up! massive explosion. not sure how it happened but had to go through penistone this morning to get on to the woodhead

excellent! thanks for that, where was it exactly?

excellent! thanks for that, where was it exactly?

Coming off the flouch roundabout onto langsett - just after the long straight you reach the brow of the hill before you start dropping down towards the speed camera's. Opposite that woodland car park there is a small layby with a greasy spoon, it was just on there. got on my tits really because it made me late for celebrity coach trip!!!!! ha ha hope nobody was in the Lorry though! :confused:

Coming off the flouch roundabout onto langsett - just after the long straight you reach the brow of the hill before you start dropping down towards the speed camera's. Opposite that woodland car park there is a small layby with a greasy spoon, it was just on there. got on my tits really because it made me late for celebrity coach trip!!!!! ha ha hope nobody was in the Lorry though! :confused:

thanks yeah i know exactly where you mean, looke like its still shut according to the BBC. I need to get to Stocksbridge later, cant see why i cant use that stretch of the bypass, guess they have to shut it completely tho as they would get some numptys trying to get through to Woodhead :hihi:

is it access only? ie. can you get off at Stocksbridge/Deepcar? cant see why not if the lorry is at Langsett

No , it was closed totally at Tankersley for traffic heading towards Manchester , but my partner came back from work in Deepcar a while ago ,and she got on the by pass at Deepcar heading for Tankersley as normal .

thanks yeah i know exactly where you mean, looke like its still shut according to the BBC. I need to get to Stocksbridge later, cant see why i cant use that stretch of the bypass, guess they have to shut it completely tho as they would get some numptys trying to get through to Woodhead :hihi:

The road for some reason is closed westbound at the Westwood roundabout, yet you can still get on at Wortley and travel as far as the Underbank turn off (where it is closed both ways)

Many drivers obviously ignoring the warning or accessing at Wortley were caught out by this and having to turn around at the closure. At least the pointless queue at Westwood was not bad tonight

my girlfriend says that was still the situation on here way home tonight.