Advice re missing parcel

just wondered if anyone knows what my rights are. We went away Friday and returned Sunday. There were no cars on our drive. On return we had a royal mail card through the door that said "pkt in car" - a bit odd as there were no cars there. I asked the postman and he said he would make enquiries with the person who delivered on saturday. Today he put a note through the door saying that the saturday postman put the parcel on the front seat of a car that was on our drive with the bonnet up! i can't find out who put their car on our drive (some cheeky bugger) but most importantly i would like to know if the postman should have done what he did before i phone up the post office and have a rant.

thanks

just wondered if anyone knows what my rights are. We went away Friday and returned Sunday. There were no cars on our drive. On return we had a royal mail card through the door that said "pkt in car" - a bit odd as there were no cars there. I asked the postman and he said he would make enquiries with the person who delivered on saturday. Today he put a note through the door saying that the saturday postman put the parcel on the front seat of a car that was on our drive with the bonnet up! i can't find out who put their car on our drive (some cheeky bugger) but most importantly i would like to know if the postman should have done what he did before i phone up the post office and have a rant.

thanks

What an idiotic and random thing for a post man to do! I think you'll be entitled to some sort of compensation to the value of your parcel as it has essentially gone missing.

A similar thing happened to me. I got home from work and had a card pushed through the door saying "in bin" - fair enough I thought, went to the blue bin and looked, and nothing was there. I went to have a look in my black bin, (it was a Tuesday night, and my neighbour had kindly taken out my black bin for me), and there was my package, sitty pretty on top of a bag of mucky cat litter...

What if I'd have been away Tuesday night and it'd been taken away with the rubbish? It was a £300 ring I'd ordered online and it was sent special delivery, so the postman even signed for it himself! I was fuming! :rant:

All I got was a basic letter of apology from Royal Mail. Triffic, eh?

Call the royal mail complaints line. They will start the process you need to make a formal complaint and to claim the value of the lost parcel.

Putting a parcel in a car is not acceptable as they have no way of knowing it was yours in the first place.

Its quite simple.. Royal Mail are liable.

Unless the sender of the parcel gave specific instructions to leave the consignment "In the car - At number 22 etc" The delivery company is liable as no signature was received and no authorisation to leave was given. The delivery company 'left' the parcel without the senders consent therefore are liable for its safety.

Interestingly, there have been several stories in the media recently about RM's use of "sorry you were out" cards.... posties leaving the cards instead of the parcel itself mainly because they couldnt be bothered to take the parcel out of the depot in the first place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221003/Sorry-Why-does-Royal-Mail-leave-card-know-in.html