I need my car Servicing!

why ?

take for example a vw golf 2000 onwards runs on long life oil and not all garages stock/use this as they buy 45 gallon drums to use for services

would you like a garage to use incorrect oil in your car and risk engine damage?

certain garages use the correct dealer stated spec oils but most buy bulk to save money

i know ive worked in the motor trade for over 15 yrs

also might help if the op told us what car it is as well as some garages wont touch certain makes/models

thats because they dont know what there doin and want only easy money making jobs!!!!!! a mechanic worth his money will undertake any job asked by a customer unless he is to advise car is wreck and would cost more to put right!!!!than its worth scenario customer asks for price for cambelt etc etc and all car is knackered good mechanic would advise to scrap and not waste good money but if customer wants it doing u can only advise of this !!!!!

I would recommend you do following:

1. Check your service book. in it you will find what type of oil you need, then nip to Morrisons to buy oil.

2. Go to your local car parts shop and buy the spark plugs,air filter and oil filter.

3. take your car to your local one man band garage and they will charge you a maximum of £15.

4.they will also stamp your service book.

why ?

take for example a vw golf 2000 onwards runs on long life oil and not all garages stock/use this as they buy 45 gallon drums to use for services

would you like a garage to use incorrect oil in your car and risk engine damage?

certain garages use the correct dealer stated spec oils but most buy bulk to save money

i know ive worked in the motor trade for over 15 yrs

So a garage would turn away business rather than get the right kind of oil for a job, they are only going to pass the cost on .

Don’t most garages (even small ones) just have to pick up the phone and have parts delivered to the door within hours, I have an import and was told it will take a couple of days to get the parts together but it wasn’t a problem.

a lot of garages advertise service and mot for £99 but like i said before vw golfs use longlife oil which is £50 on its own then theres the oil filter,air filter etc then labour and mot costs

you tell me if you was the garage owner would you do that service at a loss or would you use the big drum of oil you have stood in the corner that is already paid for

im not going to get into a slanging match with you over this ive said my piece if you choose to reply i wont be anymore

im not going to get into a slanging match with you over this ive said my piece if you choose to reply i wont be anymore

Its called a debate not a slanging match :roll: , don’t quote me but doesn’t it usually say service from £99 or something to that effect.

For a limited period you can get an Interim Service and MOT from just £109* at any one of our 223 Autocentres across the UK!

That's a saving of up to £50 off an MOT (usually £54.85) and our Interim Service (which incidentally is one of the most thorough in the UK - view our Service Schedule for full info on what's covered).

And with every one of our Autocentres independently audited by the AA – a quality service is guaranteed. Simply book using the option below.

Please Note:

- This discount is only valid for customers booking online.

*Additional charges are applicable if your car uses fully synthetic oil (simply because the oil is more expensive) or if your engine is 2200cc or above - because a bigger engine takes more oil!).

Edited by Grandad.Malky