Is it worth getting into complimentary therapies at this time?

Im looking into either starting a business or getting a job as a masseur, yet ive never seen any positions open for this.

I actually really wanted to start my own business doing it, but dont have a place to practice. I really dont have the funds to rent a place, having only a small potential client base, i couldnt afford the rent initially.

So does anyone have any advice or suggestions at all on what to do?:help:

Or has anyone ever seen any therapy jobs? At least if they had then maybe id know it was possible to get one.:)

I've never seen the advertised either. It's usually a self employed person either mobile or with premises. Also therapists are often multi skilled within a beauty salon, doing detox wraps, along with different types of body massage, indian head massage, face massages, hot stones, and other techniques to alleviate problems as much for just a relaxing rub down, those perhaps being less common at around £40 a throw unless you can get into a health club where relaxing type massages might be more common after a workout.

i have never seen any masseur jobs advertised, i agree with indizine that most complimentary therapists offer a wide range of therapies and so its very hard to compete at the mo. maybe you should check out your competition a bit more. find out who in your area does massages and see if you can offer something they dont and work on that to promote it.

I agree it's not something you see every day. I can help you with natural products as I'm a distributor for forever living aloe vera, they have some amazing skin creams and treatments for skin conditions. I know that fitness first rent rooms, the one at Parkgate has just changed ownership and they had beauty rooms, a sports injury therapist and make up. Hillsborough has a sports massuer and hairdresser there.

Why not speak to JJs gym at Bellhouse Rd Firth Park, theyre a female gym recently setup? Also, have you spoken to Beauty works at Abbeydale? I remember they had 3 or 4 tables for waxing, massage etc - could they rent you a table?

Your trick is going to be planning and marketing. If you are serious about this I can put you in touch with the local regeneration team who provide free business planning, evaluation and access to training and really useful advice. I wouldn't be in business without their help.

Kind regards and good luck

Im looking into either starting a business or getting a job as a masseur, yet ive never seen any positions open for this.

I actually really wanted to start my own business doing it, but dont have a place to practice. I really dont have the funds to rent a place, having only a small potential client base, i couldnt afford the rent initially.

Or has anyone ever seen any therapy jobs? At least if they had then maybe id know it was possible to get one.:)

Go mobile and go to people's houses.

I think for something like this you defo need to think outside the box in terms of where your new clients would be.....

For example i have seen Complimentary therapists at SYEDA, South Yorkshire Eating Disorders Association, also at a Chiro's cant spell it in full! :)

But have you thought about the people who may usually go for something like this?.... dancers?... have you checked out dance studios? they may have a small room to rent where potential new clients would be running through the door every day!

Or doctors?.... again may have a room that you can rent to do this,

My advice on this one would be to contact different venues and go freelance, working from a room on their premises and paying a percentage of your takings as rent. You could approach various places and offer your services, for example alternative health centres, gyms/sporting groups, private medical centres, beauty salons etc if you did one day a week at each place you could be full time employed and your own boss, and by working in different places you increase your potential customer base. Also, if you worked 3 or 4 days a week you could also study additional related disciplines while you work eg different types of massage technique.

Maybe it's worth looking for a job on a cruise ship for a bit?

My friend spent 6 months last year on a cruise ship in the caribbean working in the spa. She made so money that she was able to spend another 6 months travelling around the world, Australia, India etc..