Electric shower vs combi shower

ive got a vaillant eco tec pro 28 combi and have been using the mixer taps for a shower since my electric shower broke.I can replace and rewire the electric shower myself (due to insufficient cable size) Part p registered 17th edition qualified before anyone starts making remarks ha,but was wondering whether its cheaper to run a 9.5Kw shower or run off combi? thanks

can you run an electric shower from a combi? my mate has one and was told she couldnt..if she wanted one she would need a pump fitting to power it.

no the electric shower would have to from the consumer unit which is not a problem was just purely wondering about running costs

ive got a vaillant eco tec pro 28 combi and have been using the mixer taps for a shower since my electric shower broke.I can replace and rewire the electric shower myself (due to insufficient cable size) Part p registered 17th edition qualified before anyone starts making remarks ha,but was wondering whether its cheaper to run a 9.5Kw shower or run off combi? thanks

I have same the combi boiler with a Mira Combiflow EV shower and is fantastic.

was just wondering which is cheaper to run though

Short answer: They'll cost the same.

Long answer: Heating X amount of water with gas costs a fraction of the cost of electrical heating. The difference is that gas boilers can churn out a lot more hot water in a minute than electric power shower units can. The end result is that they cost about the same, as the higher flow rate cancels out the cheaper heating cost.

You can sit down with your energy bills and some shower fact sheets to calculate the precise cost, but the difference will be pennies a day so don't bother.

I would always go for combi as it delievers better showers for the same cost. Might be worth putting an electric one in as a backup?

Short answer: They'll cost the same.

Long answer: Heating X amount of water with gas costs a fraction of the cost of electrical heating. The difference is that gas boilers can churn out a lot more hot water in a minute than electric power shower units can. The end result is that they cost about the same, as the higher flow rate cancels out the cheaper heating cost.

You can sit down with your energy bills and some shower fact sheets to calculate the precise cost, but the difference will be pennies a day so don't bother.

I would always go for combi as it delievers better showers for the same cost. Might be worth putting an electric one in as a backup?

Just going to say if you've got the mixer tap go for leccy as backup. Combi boilers can be a git to fix sometimes & it's a mare without hot water!

I have found that an electric shower is best, simply because my boiler broke down lat year, and we would have been lost without the seperate shower!

I have found that an electric shower is best, simply because my boiler broke down lat year, and we would have been lost without the seperate shower!

Ditto I've had it in the past so got both!

Related to this- four beds bathroom and en-suite. Is it possible to run two showers off a combi. We have had a combi in a three bed one bathroom house and whenever someone in the kitchen turned on the tap the shower would go hot/cold.

Can we still go for a combi but get a big 37/40kW one?