Any advice re media industry?

My ideal job would be working in the music business, somewhere. Seeing as I don't know exactly what I'd like to do in the business, I'm feeling like I could be wanting to do it for the wrong reasons, but music, as like a lot of people, has been a big part of my life and I would like to get involved in the industry of it. I'd rather do some sort of record company type work than the actual production, like a producer or something.

I know that these kind of jobs are best found in London, but I was wondering if anyone on here could give any advice, recommend anywhere I could get experience or something in the Sheffield area for the time being.

I'm currently doing communication studies at Hallam uni which does include some media modules, but I get the feeling experience is preferred over qualifications, and the main reason I am doing the course is in hope that the uni could eventually point me in the right direction of what I would like to do, as you don't tend to come across those kind of job ads in the Star on a Thursday evening!

I went in for a chat with the events and promo person at Hallam FM, in hope I could gain experience there. She said to keep in touch and they'd probably have something in about April. I emailed back a few weeks later but I haven't heard anything since, so I am disappointed about that - I don't feel like I came across that I wanted to gain experience in that area for the right reasons and the fact that I was unclear about what I wanted to do really didn't help.

Anyway, I'm guessing this is quite a long shot, and this big long post may have been a waste of time, but any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.