Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

The 2 brothers who owned Binneys must have been later because Mr&Mrs Binney owned both shops between 1947 and about 1975 when they retired.

They followed Mr Binneys father who lived in a large house in Townend st.

I spent lots of my childhood with Aunty Bin and Uncle Alf. Saturday night I helped to sell the Green Un in the bottom shop along with a boy called Rex Carter.

The bakers higher up the road was originally Elliotts.

I went to school with Vicky Scriven.

The Hadfield was where Susan Bromley lived she was a little older than me.

Close to the bus stop at Commonside there was a chemist shop but can't remember the name.

There was a barber shop,I remember there son was drowned while on holiday that would have been around 1954.

I remember Shentalls the grocers on Barber Rd they had a giant bacon slicer and sold butter from a big block which stood on a slab of marble.

I just can't remember the crisp factory.

Yerman, At High Storrs, we lost two pupils who drowned. One was at Chatsworth but the incident at CVP was a girl whose name escapes me, maybe about 1975? I think it is deep, I can remember the motor launch and the other rowing boats, plus fishing in the bottom right-hand corner.

Rolling down the hill, from the wall by the Harcourt Road gardens? Been there.......!

Reading through various threads, I just thought I would mention Mr. Rosens shop. He was just below where PA Jewellers is now. His shop was a facinating mix of all kinds of stuff, from wellington boots, to elastic, he also sold clothing and footware. Does anyone else remember his shop?

I remember when a branch of Midland Bank stood where P A Jewellers now exists and I seem to recall the shop you mention. A man called Barney Rosen was a member of Rustlings Tennis Club in the 60's and I wonder if he was the owner you mention?

Reading through various threads, I just thought I would mention Mr. Rosens shop. He was just below where PA Jewellers is now. His shop was a facinating mix of all kinds of stuff, from wellington boots, to elastic, he also sold clothing and footware. Does anyone else remember his shop?

Rosen's, i had forgotten all about that shop. Around 1976 when i was 11, my mother bought me some purple checked trousers from there, i must have looked a right to$$er with them on. I think that i wrote them off when i fell out of the barrel in Crookes Valley Park.

I was also bought some red plastic sandals to last me through the six weeks holidays, they cost 15 pence a pair and lasted a week, i think that the skate board had something to do with thier premature demise.

I lived on bates st up untill 1973,the only shops i remember a couple of sweet shops,one at either end of commonside,raymonds barbers shop where my mother took me for my hair cutting(basin cut as i remember shouldn't have been allowed)wasn't there also a post office near to the corner of springvale rd?

Milners and a grocers called Gowers.Any of these ring a bell with anyone?

The post office you mention was called STEEL BANK.

Yerman, At High Storrs, we lost two pupils who drowned. One was at Chatsworth but the incident at CVP was a girl whose name escapes me, maybe about 1975? I think it is deep, I can remember the motor launch and the other rowing boats, plus fishing in the bottom right-hand corner.

Rolling down the hill, from the wall by the Harcourt Road gardens? Been there.......!

according to the depth guage in the corner of the dam its 32 feet deep.

is that old police phone box still there,just as you enter south rd?

No I don't think it is because it brings back memories and I think I'd have remembered it, without your prompting, if it was still there, rather like the Dr.Who type?

When I used to go to my gran's shop on South Road, I always felt safer when I was near the police box! Why, I don't know, because the chances are there'd have been no-one in it! Wasn't it just on the rise at the bottom of Heavygate?

yes ure correct.ahhh,the old tardis,i don't ever remember seeing anyone useit.