Sign in to follow this  

Creative jobs/Design companies in Sheffield?

Ive just finished uni and sooner or later i need to start finding work in my area of expertise. Ive been trying to find some design companies in sheffield but i havent found too many although i know there are quite a few about.

Ive heard of the attic and also thought about contacting warp. At the moment my main focus is on approaching upcoming bands and offering them promotional work including videos.

Im well experienced in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, photoshop, illustrator, encore.and have some experience in cinema 4D. Ive just finished my degree in TV and Film design (if anyone is looking ?!).

Attik are Huddersfield IIRC.

There's a recording studio and rehearsal space in Sheffield called Attic...

There are many design companies in Sheffield.

There are countless more graduates looking for challenging, exciting work with them.

Good luck.

Work for free.

I've been designing for quite a while now, and I know how hard it is to get noticed! You literally have to whore yourself out to companies to get on their radar.

A lot of design work is about trust. Companies don't like things they don't know, because they don't want to pay for it. Do it for free - if they like you, they might keep you. If they don't like it, they lose nothing.

The sad thing is that people also want experience, not just a degree, and the only way to get that experience is to work for free, and then for cheap, and then start slowly building up from there.

The job I have now I got because I could demonstrate that I could do it in a real world setting - I had a portfolio full of paid *and* pro bono work.

It would be way beyond someone fresh out of uni because, apart from the design aspect - which requires something uni would give you 2 months to do in, oooh, an afternoon, the technical parts require knowedge that simply wouldn't come up *unless* you'd done work like it before.

Just keep plugging. Being bloody minded is half what gets you through this job. Oh, and get a minimum wage job too, or you'll starve.

PM me if you wanna ask me anything!