28,000 to miss out on university after government cut places.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?28,000_%91will_miss_out_on_university%92&in_article_id=633467&in_page_id=34

What do people think of this article? I know most of s don't like students, but this could have a wider impact than it first appears.

IMO, less students get their place > 28,000 people looking for jobs > no jobs available > More people on the dole > Doesn't solve ANYTHING!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?28,000_%91will_miss_out_on_university%92&in_article_id=633467&in_page_id=34

What do people think of this article? I know most of s don't like students, but this could have a wider impact than it first appears.

IMO, less students get their place > 28,000 people looking for jobs > no jobs available > More people on the dole > Doesn't solve ANYTHING!

IMO there are already too many students. The entry standards have dropped dramatically so that mediocre students can get places. Huge numbers drop out or fail the courses. Many of those who get a degree cannot find jobs.

Sadly many of the best students who get good degrees take their qualifications abroad and benefit other countries at the UK tax payers expence.

I think the idea of increasing student number was more about reducing the jobless totals than providing education.

There are already too many students so this reduction was inevitable. Fortunately for the Government they can wring their hands and say the financial crisis necessitated it, instead of admitting that their "degrees for all" plan was dumb. Even without the recession unskilled jobs have been getting rarer - you need certifications just to be a bouncer these days - but only a minority of jobs will ever require degree level skills.