Sign in to follow this  

Red Hill Man , Woodhouse Rd.

I don't know if anybody on S. F. 'll be old enough to remember this :-

We lived on Audrey Rd. , Woodthorpe until 1949 and I was about 8 when we left that area. When our gang were all about 7 or 8 years old , somehow we'd come to believe that there was a sort of old man who ate children and lived on "The Red Hills". These were literally a pinkish -red and were about a half mile , or less, going down Woodhouse Rd. from the junction with Richmond Rd. , on the right hand side-----going towards Woodhouse.

We used to scare ourselves to death , going as near as we dare to The Red Hills and then usually somebody would yell ,

"Look , The Red Hill man", and we would all scoot off , back up Richmond Rd. To us , the Red Hills did seem really sinister. I'm wondering was it all just children , imagination and group psychology or had something once really tragic happened on the Hills and was passed down to us kids , listening to adult gossip.. I believe a lot of children have these "Bogey-men " fantasies but this one was strong and seemed to last for years.

Anybody else remember The Red Hill Man ? Or anyone's Grandparents ?

Originally posted by Fareast

I don't know if anybody on S. F. 'll be old enough to remember this :-

We lived on Audrey Rd. , Woodthorpe until 1949 and I was about 8 when we left that area. When our gang were all about 7 or 8 years old , somehow we'd come to believe that there was a sort of old man who ate children and lived on "The Red Hills". These were literally a pinkish -red and were about a half mile , or less, going down Woodhouse Rd. from the junction with Richmond Rd. , on the right hand side-----going towards Woodhouse.

We used to scare ourselves to death , going as near as we dare to The Red Hills and then usually somebody would yell ,

"Look , The Red Hill man", and we would all scoot off , back up Richmond Rd. To us , the Red Hills did seem really sinister. I'm wondering was it all just children , imagination and group psychology or had something once really tragic happened on the Hills and was passed down to us kids , listening to adult gossip.. I believe a lot of children have these "Bogey-men " fantasies but this one was strong and seemed to last for years.

Anybody else remember The Red Hill Man ? Or anyone's Grandparents ?

dont recall the man,but i used to play on the red hills and as a dare would walk thru the long pipe

Remember the red hills well,not a man though...use to slide down them on pieces of tin.Oh,the days before new fangled inventions...