Bring house prices down 40 %

craig12

yes i know, its just annoying seeing something happen that historicaly shouldnt have happened and now its everyone that suffers, house prices should have kept rising at 10% per year and because of 2007/8 nobody can accept the downturn , but 2007/8 prices were wrong and owners are still clinging onto the fact thact they were correct, greed britain again

yes you can quote car prices, wages, beer prices, but houses are different , b/societys always lent no more than 2.5/3 joint income so that makes the house you could afford £90.000 but they knew that wouldnt buy you owt so they made it 5 x joint income in 1970 -1990 you wouldnt have been offered 5 x joint

I've explained my thoughts earlier in the thread, but to summarise:

All prices are set by the interaction of supply and demand.

House prices are high largely because of high demand (lots of people want to buy houses - there are more people, fewer people want to rent, and more people want to live on their own - and finance has been readily available).

As demand falls, so will prices.

Prices are only 'wrong' when the market fails. It hasn't in the case of the housing market - the price just represents the relatively scarcity of houses in relation to the number of people wanting to buy them. This is why a house in Consett, say, is cheaper than one in Notting Hill.