Old wooden game/toy (HELP)

Hi All,

I need your help. I am looking for a game/toy from early 1900's???

Its completely wooden and consists of one stick of wood sharpened to a point at both ends and is hit with another stick at one of the ends to see how high it will go.

Unfortunately I have no idea what its called, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

B

Is it the game they used to play in the mining villages called 'Tip & Spell' although it does have various names depending on the area?

In some areas the spell was sent into the air by a spring mechanism but the simpler form was as you describe.

Hope this helps

Happy Days! PopT

Is it the game they used to play in the mining villages called 'Tip & Spell' although it does have various names depending on the area?

In some areas the spell was sent into the air by a spring mechanism but the simpler form was as you describe.

Hope this helps

Happy Days! PopT

AS usual always a wealth of info':thumbsup::thumbsup:

There was an article in the 'Times' last week about Tip and Spell. Good players could make a lot of money apparently, back in the '20s that is.

It was also called: Trip and Spell, Nipsy and for some reason, Knur and Spell.

You are all fabulous!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't suppose anyone has any idea where I might be able to buy one?

After having a good google it seems more likely it was a game called Tip Cat :)

Hey burny, regarding the article on 'tip and spell' I mentioned, if you can lay your hands on a copy of the 'Daily Mail' (Friday 24th Oct), it's all in there. All the info' you could want. The article, it's a letter actually, refers to the game as 'knurr and spell'.

Texas - Thanks very much.... I will try and do that… I really need to get one now in time for Xmas!

Hi All,

I need your help. I am looking for a game/toy from early 1900's???

Its completely wooden and consists of one stick of wood sharpened to a point at both ends and is hit with another stick at one of the ends to see how high it will go.

Unfortunately I have no idea what its called, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

B

It is an old English game. We called it Knurr-and-Spell in Hackenthorpe. It was easy to make one.

• You need one house brick (The Spell)
  • An old broom hande. (The Pommel)
  • A small piece of the round wood about an 75mm long. (The Knurr)

You shape the small piece of wood into a bullet shape so that half the length decreases to a BLUNT point.

Make the broom handle about cricket bat length.

To play:

1. Stand the house brick on its end.
  2. Place the Knurr on the top of the brick with point facing the direction of travel.
  3. Now hit the tip of the bullet end of the Knurr with a sharp downward movement with the Pommel and as it flicks up into the air, wack it as hard as you can.
  4. The one the hits it the farthest wins.

In barnsley it was a serious sport, Pommels would be made from Pick axe handles turned down so the shaft was very light and thin and the end would be thick & heavy. I dont know if it is still played now.

I have seen it played where the Knurr was a marble size white ball hanging in a small pouch from a gallows like contraption.

Note : It is essentiall not to stand in front of the brick if spectating as this can cause serious injury if the Knurr is miss hit. :hihi:

Here is a description of one method of playing:

Northern Spell

Edited by Lostrider