Is it against the law not to pay my debts ?

got a few credit cards, loans, etc, none of it secured

at the moment i am paying them off, but just wondered what if i thought balls to em ?

i live 2,000 miles away from UK, but still have a UK address, but not for much longer,

i could cancel my direct debits, sure I'd get a bad credit history, but lucky enough not to need finance for foreseeable future

before anyone starts, the banks have had a mint off me in the past in various arrangement fees and charges, etc

It's not a criminal offence, no; unless the banks can persuade a court that it was your intention all along to borrow money you would never pay back. That would be fraud.

They can take you to court to order repayment. If you now live in Tenerife, I don't know to what extend a British court order can be enforced. You're still inside the EU.

As long as you do not own a house, you will have no problems. The chances of them finding you in tenerife is around zero. You will have problems for around 6 years after not paying, Biggest issue is how much money you are talking about. Life can change and if you come back to england it could take a long time to repair your credit rating.