Allotment? Help needed

Hi, I'm intrested in starting with my own allotment, but i have no idea who to speak to, where to go and how much it will cost. :huh:

I do know however that i want to grow my own veg :thumbsup:

i live in the S35 area so can anybody please help? :hihi:

PLEASE, Please please help

am thinking about starting out myself and the first place I went to was the council website which - although a little unhelpful does give you a list of where sites are.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/allotments

Hope this link works.

Also gives you a list of allotments with free plots. Hope this has helped a little - cat help anymore as I am new to this too!!

I am in S36 and am waiting for an allotment. You need to contact Sheffield City Council Allotment Team and get yourself on a list for the next vacent plot. There is sometimes quite a wait (just a warning).

Rates are generally fairly reasonable, the main difference on council plots is whether of not they are supplied with a water tap (and you then have to contribute to the water rates).

In the meantime there are loads of veg you can plant in tubs and pots if you don't have a very big garden. Take a look around this forum to find out what works for other people.

Types, my allotment is at Meersbrook, the rent is just under £20 for a year and similar for water. Why don't you call the allotment office and talk to them, I'm not sure how up to date the information is on the website.

Thanks eveybody for the info!!!! will get onto the council in the morning!!

Right waiting for my info from the council!

Thanks people, can anybody recomend an area of Sheffield for me to grow my veg in?

Did you contact council by email or phone? I emailed twice at the begining of this week and still havent heard anything :( Am begining to wish I had phoned straight away :rolleyes:

Think I will end up ringing Monday if I dont get anything through tomorrow.

Hi we also live in S35 and are on the waiting list for Burncross allotments - we got fed up of waiting eventually decided to take one of the available plots last March on Hagg Hill - its a bit of a treck for us and would also be keen on getting an allotment nearer home.

If you have any luck or have any sites in mind I would be interested to get involved - we would love to not travel as far sort of defeats the reducing food miles idea - Problem is I can't think of any suitable areas that wouldn't get vandilised !

Did you contact council by email or phone? I emailed twice at the begining of this week and still havent heard anything :( Am begining to wish I had phoned straight away :rolleyes:

Think I will end up ringing Monday if I dont get anything through tomorrow.

Hi, i phoned them as i've tried to deal with the council by email before and it never works out. :loopy:

Hi we also live in S35 and are on the waiting list for Burncross allotments - we got fed up of waiting eventually decided to take one of the available plots last March on Hagg Hill - its a bit of a treck for us and would also be keen on getting an allotment nearer home.

If you have any luck or have any sites in mind I would be interested to get involved - we would love to not travel as far sort of defeats the reducing food miles idea - Problem is I can't think of any suitable areas that wouldn't get vandilised !

Well I just got the info pack today, so far i have short listed either Moss Way or High Wincobank.

It is a trek but i just want to grow things, (odd i know for a 20 something) but there you go!

I have read that Moss way is in a bad state with Rats??

I eventually got an email yesterday - which only half answered my questions!!! They suggested High Wincobank to me too - do you know much about it?

Think I may ring today to get things moving a bit quicker :rolleyes::)