Old gas fires need replacing. cost to rip out?

Hi All

I've got something similar to two of those old wall mounted gas fires:

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/FiregemSuperDeluxe.jpg

mounted on my sitting room and dining room chimney breast (yuk!!)

does anybody know how much approx it would cost to get rid of them? is it just a question of getting a gas guy out to come disconnect and take off wall and remove?

estimates?

help please, clueless on this one

cheers all

Onespeed

Should cost no more than £60 to cap them off and then gas check the pipework.

Obviously you will pay more if you ask to have the fire removed at the same time and the hole made good.

However, those Robinson-Willey's are easy to remove. It will be fixed to the wall with 4 screws (2 top and 2 bottom). Behind it will be a metal closure plate taped to the wall. Remove that as well. Then couple of bricks and plastering over. Lick of paint. Job done. Extra bit of money in your pocket ;)

May need to vent the chimney breasts to prevent damp/condensation

ooh that's not bad! thanks :)

am thinking of replacing them both with something that both works and is in keeping with the rest of the house e.g.

http://www.fireplacesareus.co.uk/traditional_wood/bedford_mantel_coronet_arch.html

but much much cheaper! that was just to give an idea...

will i have issues with chimney and flues and things? i don't really know what the existing set up would be and what i would be able to do, what choices i would have, to replace the nasty current gas fires with something nice.

any thoughts?

the fire you are looking at is a class 1 flue, it wont go a lined flue (5 inch) needs 7 inch,also needs an air brick 100 cm2 usually but depends on max heat input of fire, ( it will be in instructions or a quick phone will get you the details u need.)

advise time :

get a class 2 fire it can go on both lined and class 1 chimney and some pre cast flues too.

and make sure it has a hot box and not just flued up the chimney,

have a look at replicas on south road the do all kinds of period fires and surrounds they also fit too so you get the full package. ask for jim he comes highly recommended.

i think they have a closing down sale so hurry. :)

Here's where it can get expensive as its easier to remove a fire than to install one. If you want new fires fitting then there would be the cost of new gas pipework (unless you choose solid fuel). Prior to this i would HIGHLY recommend that both chimneys are swept and smoke tested for soundness. The existing flues (as your chimneys may have flue liners) will need to be checked out alongside the flue terminals. Replacing a flue is kinda expensive. Then there will be the cost of installing, comissioning and registering them with CORGI.

My advice would be to get a minimum of 3 written quotes

superbon. feel much clearer now, thank you :)

i popped into the shop on south road when they first put their closing down sign up, they seemed rather astonished to have a customer! they're fully closing on the 28th, so i best get myself back down there pronto!

thanks once again for the help :)