Funk!

In my younger days whilst studing at the Uni i used to drop into the student nights at the Leadmill and occasionally Rise too. I used to really like the funk that used to be played in the bar area, not the main stage bit and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in the record shops for something similar?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Spook,

I remember those days! Sadly, there are no clubs that focus specifically on that sort of music, that I am aware of.

In terms of recorded music, you couldn't go far wrong with the following compilations:

Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits. Has a psychedelic photo of Sly on the cover.

This contains 20 excellent songs, in varying styles, and it does include some of the funkiest music ever put to record. One of the greatest bands of all time, in my opinion. One listen will reveal the sheer number of songs covered by other artists, as diverse as The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Arrested Development and the Fine Young Cannibals.

Stevie Wonder - Musiquarium. Has lots of tropical fish on the cover.

Worth it for the opening barrage of Superstition, I Haven't Done Nothin', Livin In The City and Frontline alone, yet the quality of the following material is hardly less.

If you need more info, I'd do a search for SATFS and other funk artists on the internet, early records are best (say, anything up to There's A Riot Going On for SATFS, definitely get Innervisions and Talking Book by Stevie). Some other names besides SATFS and Stevie could include Funkadelic/Parliament, the Average White Band (anything BUT average in my opinion!), the Meters.

Good luck on your journey of discovery!

Peace,

Joss

Archived