Smuggled Cigarettes?

Originally posted by Agent Dan

Being overweight is an effect, but the government have discussed obese people paying for their NHS treatment (in the same way as smokers) because they are viewed as having the choice to be obese or not.

This is the problem. If you start charging smokers extra, then where do you draw the line? Will obese people be charged? What about crash victims - they chose to get into the car - or perhaps sporting injuries should not be on the NHS as the sport is non-essential to existence... It's a real grey area.

I believe that regardless of lifestyle choices, all british citizens should be treated fairly under the NHS, and will happily pay to help the alcoholic alongside the elderly and the injured.

Well for a start you draw the line between cause and effect.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that.

For example not all obese people are that way because they eat unhealthily. I believe that the government are addressing the issues of unhealthy food with suggestions for better labelling of unhealthy products.

I think they are better off hammering the manufacturers (of both unhealthy food and cigarettes) than the poor saps who harm themselves with them (and to be fair to the government I think that is the thinking of a few people within it)

Two Jags being a prime example of "don't do as I do - - do as I say"

I still maintain that their prime incentive is to save money - not lives.

Originally posted by sheffco

Two Jags being a prime example of "don't do as I do - - do as I say"

I still maintain that their prime incentive is to save money - not lives.

Well, yes. Like any government would when anything that should be taxed is smuggled into their country - it is what the role of the Customs and Excise department is.

Measures to cut down smoking is a different (if connected) issue to that.

Tax the fast food joints out of existance - - (Business Tax)

Tax the couch potatoes out of their unhealthy ways - - computer games - home cinema's - Drive the kids out to play football - not watch it -.

You can eat virtually anything as long as you get enough exercise.

As a post war kid - - rationing and all that - my pleasures were climbing trees and collecting birds eggs (Now illegal)

Playing cowboys and Indians which involved lots of running about and yelling - (Now anti-social)

Cycling - for pleasure, trips to derbyshire 30 or 40 miles return.

(Now dangerous - because of traffic and road fumes)

Having led an active life running up and down sand dunes etc. I don't need an expensive or stylish "Gym" just running for a bus now and then will do.

HM Customs&Excise lost in their illegal seizure of alcohol and tobacco from the booze cruises. They will lose the battle against tobacco sent by post.

Cheap spirits and cider (Bathtub) manufacture is a more dangerous product than tobacco - - lots of it sold to the "Couch Potato's" for consumption while watching "Sport" on Digital TV.

A double Whammy for the heart attack figures and statistics