Sign in to follow this  

Which music artist will be big in 2004?

Chill out Dad, mainstream pop has ever been thus, except when mavericks creep in from the margins. Doesn't make it any less crap though, I know.

Actually, the only real Zappa freak I've ever known is quite like you (from the limited amount I know from your posts). Must be of a type.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

a bit like athletes foot then?

My hot tip for 2004. Frank Zappa's back catalogue which, in spite of his death some years ago, is growing ever larger as the Zappa Family Trust get to grips with his whole archive of obsessively recorded material stretching back 40 years or more.

You see there is music, and there is meta-music. Your usual genre-bound terpsichorean ejaculations of the youth generation are mere flecks in comparison to the rich tapestry of this one man's work. Zappa transcends genre and traditional musical taxonomy by at once being the best guitarist ever, living or dead, and one of the world's foremost contemporary classical composers simultaneously.

But my prediction for the real hit of 2004 will some over publicised product; they may or may not be a gifted musician, but under all the gloss, promotion, publicity and production, it will be very hard to tell.