Source for very fine (<1 mm diameter) knitting needles?

Someone in the Craft Group has asked where she might find fine diameter knitting needles for miniature knitting (1 mm and finer). The ones I can find in my online searches are around the length of DPNs (20 cm or so). She's interested in longer ones, perhaps approaching the standard length of straight needles.

Does anyone have any ideas for a supplier of these longer-length fine diameter knitting needles?

make your own out of wire?

do they have to be rigid or can they bend? I assume under any weight they are going to bend a little at the least.

How wide is a wire coathanger?

Well I thought about that too, but apparently the needles used for miniature knitting are tempered stainless steel (or something; I can't remember off hand the correct term). Anyway, it means that they don't bend like wire would. I think the needles warp and flex (like fine diameter bamboo DPNs do with use), but they don't bend like, for example, thickish wire would (unless you actually attacked them with both hands :lol:).

I think wire coathangers are a bit thicker than 1mm. Aren't they about the diameter of a fine sock DPN, say 2.25 mm or so?

You can get them from here (scroll down for needles) :)

Thanks, but I had a browse through their online store last night and they seem only to do the shorter length needles (up to about 18 cm). I was hoping to find something of a more standard straight needles length.

Not having investigated (or much thought about it) before, I suspect that the fine diameter precludes the needle length being much longer than 'long' DPN length, due to their propensity to bend and flex. 18-20 cm is the longest I've seen.

what about cocktail sticks?

I've knitted on cocktail sticks before, a long time ago when I had to make little mini badges of tiny needles, balls of yarn and a little bit of knitting hanging from the 'needles'.

It's a good idea, but they're a bit short for what the person was looking for.

I am not a knitter....but this is amazing!

The 'cloth' produiced must be so fine! What do people use instead of wool?

It's very fine, and the stitch work is incredibly intricate. This site shows such work at its most impressive.

Some people do miniature knitting as an art and craft in itself, while others knit items for their 1/12th scale dolls houses.

The yarns used can be 1-ply wool, crochet and embroidery cotton etc. The wool used for crewel work and some canvas work can be separated out into individual strands and used according to the requirements of the pattern.