Sign in to follow this  

Fast-track to sainthood

Heard something on TV that the new pope has decreed that the recently-departed pope - John Paul - has been fast-tracked to become a saint.

I thought that to become a saint, the nominated person had to have performed some sort of miracle that had been proven.

And then, I thought, there various stages of beatification that happened before sainthood was achieved.

I'm no expert in the Roman Catholic Church, and I'm not being critical in any way. I'm just curious.

Did John Paul perform a miracle? What was it? When did it happen? And where?

Or have I got it all wrong about it takes to become a saint?

Perhaps it is just that JP was a superb ambassador for the Catholic Church and his reward for carrying the flame so well for so long is to be promoted to sainthood.

Does anybody know?

Originally posted by dishwasher

Heard something on TV that the new pope has decreed that the recently-departed pope - John Paul - has been fast-tracked to become a saint.

I thought that to become a saint, the nominated person had to have performed some sort of miracle that had been proven.

And then, I thought, there various stages of beatification that happened before sainthood was achieved.

According to the BBC, Msr. New-Pope has only put old JP up for beatification, which is the 'first step' to sainthood.

The thing that confuses me is that, last I looked, the Christian church considered miracles to be from God, so no human being has ever, on their own, performed a miracle. Most just say "t'weren't me. It were God". It's only other people who, after said saintly person is dead, decide to pin the specific miracle on the person as though they had magical godly powers...

I think the ex pope should rise from the dead to thwart his critics (me) perform a miracle and get that nazi boy out of Rome!! Only then will I believe in him being a saint. I know God said 'do not tempt the lord your god' but isn't that one of the great 'get-out' clauses on par with the wizard of Oz; like doubting Thomas etc etc.

To ape woody allen, its not that i don't believe but i would be grateful if he would send me a sign like leaving a large deposit of cash in my bank account!!:D

If the ex pope did rise from the dead i think the look on 'The German Shepherds' face would be priceless.