Sydney Thomas Bailey

I am trying to find information on Sydney Thomas Bailey (1908-1993).

I have established that he was probably a builder, and in 1933 he was living at 210 Rock Street, Sheffield. In October 1933 he bought a brand new MG Midget from Pointings, 152-158 Moore Street, Sheffield; this car has recently been discovered and I am trying to help to find any of its history; in all probability it was registered WJ 7880 but it would be nice to get confirmation of this.

Does anyone remember Mr Bailey from the post-war period,and perhaps know of surviving relatives? I'm hoping that there may be a family photograph album with pictures of the car.

Any information that can be given regarding Pointings would also be of interest; the building appears to have survived the war, and in the 1970s was occupied by Burgon & Son, Grocers.

---------- Post added 18-02-2017 at 13:04 ----------

I can add a little bit more information on Sydney Bailey, gleaned from the 1911 census:

Father: Sidney Grainger Bailey, age 33, Builder, living in Darnall, Sheffield.

Mother: Florence Ann Bailey, age 32

Sister: Constance Hurdley Bailey, age 5

According to the census, his name was spelt with an 'i', not a 'y', but I am sure it's the same person.

no doubt mr Hillsboro will be working on it.
You're dead right he will! :)
indeed, hes one of the aforementioned good uns
Oh - thanks, melthebell! :blush:

Looking at online records I couldn't find any relatives who might be surviving, nor could I find a "definite" marriage record for Sidney. However in case it is helpful, Kelly’s directories for 1931 and 1937 give the 120 Rock Street address, but the "1939 Register" shows that Sidney had moved with his parents to Nether House, Whitley Lane, Grenoside - here is a scan. His only sibling seems to have been his sister Constance Hurdley Bailey who died unmarried in 1937, aged only 31. Sidney snr. died in 1950 and Florence in 1962. By 1958 Sidney jnr. had moved to Round Leys, Newfield Lane, Dore.

Pointing's on Moore Street seems to have been established in the late 1920s, and the 1937 Kelly’s Directory also shows them at the “City Garage” on Pinstone Street, but the firm isn’t listed in the local directories I have from 1940 onwards (though they were in Leeds in the 1950s). Here is an advertisement from the Sheffield Independent of 17 October 1933.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks, Hillsboro, it all helps!

I have found a notification of Sydney's engagement, to Alice Margaret, daughter of Alderman Harold, possibly of Copgrove Grange, near Harrogate on 18 September 1939. I can't find any trace of either father or daughter - I suspect Harold may be a first name, and the surname is missing from the announcement! Of course, there's no guarantee that the wedding took place anyway.

It's a shame that Constance died so young, I had hoped that might be a possible further link to follow...

...I have found a notification of Sydney's engagement, to Alice Margaret, daughter of Alderman Harold, possibly of Copgrove Grange, near Harrogate on 18 September 1939. I can't find any trace of either father or daughter - I suspect Harold may be a first name, and the surname is missing from the announcement!...
Following this up, I found an engagement announcement in the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer of 18 September 1939 which gives the name "Alderman Harold Smith, J.P." The Copgrove Grange address is actually in the previous announcement - see here. Unfortunately the trail runs cold here as the wedding didn't take place and Alice (born 5 May 1913) died unmarried in 1969.

I have now established that Sydney (or Sidney) Bailey died 20th January 1993,at which time his address was Round Leys, Newfield Lane, Dore.

Does anyone from that area recall the family?